85

We flew for a few days, until we were deep into the forest.  I scanned the forest floor looking for a good spot to land. I saw no spot good enough to land, so we kept going. Some time later, I looked up ahead and saw that we were approaching the edge of the forest and into a wide open plain. This would be perfect. Up ahead was a large river than ran endlessly into the horizon. Perfect for fish. I waved to Amy and Tahli on either side of me, and pointed down at the river. They both acknowledged and dove towards the ground. We landed beside the river as the sun met the horizon and the sky started turning bright orange and pink. Bailey stumbled down the dragons wing before collapsing to the ground when she tripped. I untied the sack and slide down Doron's wing, where I was met by Amy and Tahli at the bottom.

"Doesn't this leave us exposed to attack?' Amy asked.

"No. Predators wont get past the dragons, and we are far out from the center. If any one were to come looking for us, all they would find are countless bodies of warriors and soldiers alike." I said.

"Fair enough. Let's get ourselves set up. We're going to be here a while." Tahli said.

I, along with with Amy and Tahli began pulling down the weapons and supplies we had strapped to the dragons. I set the bag off to the side as I set my spears down next to each other. I wrapped a small piece of string hanging from my bow around the arrows and set it down next to the spears. I put my sword down on top of the bow and turned back to the bag.

"What do we do with them?' Amy asked while gesturing to the bag.

"I'm not sure. I guess we could keep them in the bag." I said.

Doron snapped his head over to me, before nudging the bag with his massive claw as Veracon and Ragon lowered their heads to the bag.

"I think they disagree." Tahli said as she walked up beside me.

"Yeah. No kidding." I replied.

I removed the eggs from the bag and placed them in a small circle in the short grass.

"We'll leave them here. Nothing will get to them before the dragons roast them." I said.

As I turned and started collecting small branches and leaves from the small trees that scattered the plains, the dragons settled around the eggs in a protective circle. They kept their eyes locked on the eggs with so much intent and determination I was actually somewhat surprised. They didn't respond to anything any of us said. They just stared at the seven eggs sitting in the middle of them.

"Now what?" Tahli asked as we sat around the fire.

I looked over my shoulder at the dragons.

"I guess we just get some rest. We'll be here for who knows how long. We've not got anywhere to go so there isn't much point in traveling around." I said.

I looked up at the sky as it was turning from bright orange to dark, deep black. Not long afterm the sun had been replaced with the light of a million stars. It stilled never failed to take my breath away every time I looked up at the night sky. Suddenly Bailey's head thumped against my shoulder as she fell asleep.

"She's beat. Take her to Doron."  Amy said.

I nodded and picked Amy up, then turned and walked over to Doron. I wouldn't get to the inside of the protective circle they had formed, so Doron lifted his left wing for me to crawl under. I placed Bailey in the soft grass, before heading back over to Amy and Tahli.

"We should be off to bed shortly as well. We've got to hunt tomorrow." Tahli said.

Not long after putting Bailey to bed, I felt my eyes getting heavy.

"I'm off to bed." I said as I stood up.

"As am I." Amy said.

"Me too." Tahli added.

We all went to our dragons, and took shelter under their massive wings. I closed my eyes, and fell asleep shortly after. But I wouldn't awake to a familiar sight.

Hey Everyone!

If you're enjoying this story, be sure to check out my new story "The Dragon's Bond"! It can be found on my profile page and is still in progress, updates are daily or bi-daily on average.

Enjoy!