Chapter 3

The Rampion landed in the landing port of New Beijing Palace. Paparazzi swarmed around Cress and Thorne. Thorne wrapped his arm around Cress to protect her from the flashes that made her nervous. She hated the fame sometimes. He, on the other hand, grinned hard and faced the cameras. As they made their way up the platform, Cress started to feel nauseous again. She looked up at Thorne, whispered in his ear, then hurried faster. As soon as they got into the giant hall, she ran to the closest bathroom. Strange, Thorne thought. Sick again. He shrugged off that thought when she walked back in, looking just a bit less green. The door down the hall opened, and in walked Torin, Kai's official advisor. "Welcome! The rest are in the East wing waiting, so I suggest you get there right away." "Torin! How have you been? Babysitting Kai and Cinder going alright for you?" Thorne said, knowing that the job "advisor" was pretty much babysitting the young emperor. "I'm not a babysitter. I'm a advisor," he replied, turning away to lead them. Once they got to the East wing, Cress was feeling much better. She was taking in the palace, even though she had been there plenty of times before. She found the art there fascinating, and the technology throughout the palace was enough to keep her occupied for hours on end. They had upped the security and it was breathtaking for her to search her portscreen for new codes to explore. Thorne watched her smile at the glowing screen. He had to do this. It had to happen soon. But he needed help, from the only people he trusted. "Emperor Kai and friends. Here are Miss Cress Darnel and Mr Carswell Thorne," .