E i g h t

Skye's POV

I float on my back, in the heated water of the indoor pool,  and stare up at the roof. This pool, and Dante's entire house, is absolutely gorgeous - and this is just his holiday home. His life seems so perfect.

It must be nice to be so hot and super rich. He can get anything he wants and he can do anything he wants and he seems really happy, too. I haven't known him long enough to say if he is a happy person or if he is faking it, but so far it seems like a real kind of happy.

I can't relate to any of it.

Especially after everything with my mom and Spain. I want to say that I have been trying not to think about it, but how can I not? Most people would never be able to stop thinking about their mom abandoning them in a foreign country.

I miss my family so much.

My dad and his silly jokes, they way him and my mom would sing along to Bob Marley during road trips, the way my little brother would steal my phone to download stupid games. I miss all of it.

I would have taken a bullet for any of them without even thinking twice, but I realise now that there is no way they would do the same. Maybe my brother and dad didn't know about this... A part of me is hoping that at least they still care and miss me.

I won't call. I'd rather live with questions, than hear that leaving me was a choice they made. That I was too much for them and that—What? They wish me good luck?

No thank you. I'll live in my fantasy land where they still love me and want me to come home soon.

I dip my hips down and let my body sink slightly underwater, and then I push my feet against the bottom of the pool and come back to the surface.

My shirt keeps floating up but I stopped caring a while ago. Nobody will see, anyway, and if anybody comes in then I will just pull it down again.

I kind of wish Dante was here.

Mmm, if he was shirtless. His swimming trunks hanging low on his hips. If he dimmed the lights and came really close to me in the pool. Water dripping from his dark hair. I would run my hand down his chest a—

I blink a few times and shake my head. What the hell am I thinking?

I need to stop this. I fall for guys way too easily — coincidentally always the wrong guys— and then my imagination gets the best of me, even though I know nothing is going to happen.

I have never had the guts to kiss any guy I liked and yet I managed to kiss Dante. I don't like him, but my stupid self decided to kiss him.

I have to make a promise to myself to not fall for Dante. He is hot and what he is doing for me is so nice, but it can't happen. I'm just going to be a stripper for him and after that I might never even see him again so I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Okay, I am swearing right here and right now that I will not like Dante. No matter what, it is not going to happen. It can't happen. We're nothing. I can't keep falling for guys so fast, especially ones that are so out of my league.

I've embarrassed myself enough, I don't think I need to have a crush on him, too.

I've been in the pool for a few hours and my hands have started to look like an old mans butt cheek. I should probably get out. It's around eight or even nine o'clock.

I climb out and pull Dante's shirt off of me, then wrap a towel around my body. Even though nobody is around, I still feel awkward in nothing but my underwear.

I'm going to shower and then eat and sleep. I wish I didn't have to leave this pool, but I guess I can swim in it again some time this week.

I hear footsteps coming into the pool area and I turn to see Jensen. He has a top on as well as swimming shorts. He frowns when he sees me. "Oh, I thought you went with for the dinner tonight," he says.

"No, I didn't feel like going." I smile and shrug. I'm still so embarrassed that I said I want to have animal sex with him, and it is even worse because he is getting married and I am going to have to give him a lap dance.

"God, you're so beautiful," he whispers, staring at me.

I wrap the towel tighter around me and give him a smile. "Uh, you're getting married..."

He shakes his head and looks away. "Fuck, I'm sorry. I guess you're not the only one who says things out loud by accident. I-I'm sorry." I would have never imagined a guy like him stuttering. "I'm not used to being in a committed relationship."

"It's okay."

"I'm just gonna go before I say something stupid again. Yeah, see you around." Before I can stop him, he is out the door.

I shrug and walk out, making my way to my room, with Dante's shirt in my hand. I make it to my room and step inside, impressed with what I find.

The room is almost identical to Dante's room. There is the same king sized bed, huge white cupboards and cream carpets. It all looks so expensive and clean, to a point where standing in the room feels wrong.

I walk into the bathroom, and almost everything is covered in pretty marble tiles. The cracks in the marble seem to be filled with... gold?

I lock the door and hang up the shirt and wet towel, then take off my underwear and climb into the shower, allowing the hot water to run all over my body.

I love water. Maybe in my next life I'll come back as a dolphin. Haha, who am I kidding? I'd probably come back as a rat.

I stay in the shower for a while and use all the different soaps and shampoos. I haven't showered in two days, but it feels like years. I need to wash all the sadness off me.

I climb out the shower and wrap a fluffy white towel around my body. I stand in the bathroom with my hair dripping, feeling like I am in a sauna with all of the steam around me.

I can't wait to just change and go to— shit!

I groan and run a hand over my face as I realise what an idiot I am. I forgot to ask Dante for clean clothes.

I shrug. I'm sure he won't mind if I take some clothes to sleep in, right? He's not home so I can't really ask and it's cold so I don't want to stay naked.

•=•=•

Question: Do you prefer fruits or candy?

T w i t t e r : xPineappleGirlx
I n s t a g r a m : laylaawrites
Y o u t u b e : xThePineappleGirlx

Lots of love and jelly tots - xThePineappleGirlx