Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

I should've known something insane was going to go down as soon as I saw the building. As far as I could remember there used to be an ice cream shop and some ratty old clothes store that Mom used to drag me to in an attempt to make me appear more girly and feminine. I only ever agreed to get the ice cream she offered after. The building or rather, two newly conjoined buildings with an ice cream cone levelled on top was a sickly pink, marshmallow pink. They have meshed strangely together but the messiness made sense as it belonged to the one and only, Gwen Black.

The Black family were the only reason I ever visited Luton. Instead of volunteering at Camp Mapplewood like I expected we'd do that summer, a new business venture was set up from within the Black family and it was only right we supported such a cause, no matter how out there it really was. And, of course, being the inspiration behind the whole thing meant I had some sort of veto power, right?

"You missed the two week long protests," Vivian commented from beside me.

"Protests? Seriously?"

She reached for my phone from the back pocket of my jeans and googled the fiasco. "Those children fought endlessly and Gwen responded by playing icecream van music at all hours. Trickery, tragedy and tears. A tale for the ages."

"Gwen fought children?" I asked. "Children?"

"I don't know why you're so surprised."

"But...Gwen."

"Hmm?"

"Vivian, she is quite literally the size of a ten-year-old. If even that."

Vivian looked me dead in the eye and said only one word. "Monopoly."

That's all she needed to say. Horror filled memories struck down my argument all at once. The sweet and playful Gwen turned into a little demon when it came to board games. She literally ate the little dog after discovering that Walter was only in the lead because I felt sorry for the dude. Being the banker was a powerful position and she was none too happy with me. Hence why she ate the dog and consequently cast me out of the game.

'You can't play unless you have an official piece, Em. Sorry. I don't make the rules,' she had said when I placed down a cap of a pen in replacement of the dog.

Nevermind giant sized Jenga.

And instead of defending my honour, Vivian sat back, cool as ever and watched in glee.

"You know, Dad wanted to play that last weekend. I couldn't explain the sudden anxiety and all too powerful sense of doom that I felt. Now I can."

"Let me guess," she drawled, looking up from my phone.

"Please don't," I muttered quietly.

"You hid in your room."

"Not only did camp scar me, but your sister did too," I said, instead of confirming or denying.