"What was it? White wine?"

"Do I look like a white wine kind of girl?" I adjust my glasses, and he flat-out laughs at me, making me smile at the absurdity of our situation.

He takes a moment to study my eyes, and maybe it's the alcohol running in my blood, but for the first time in years, I don't feel weird under a man's gaze. "Nah..." he says after a while, "Let me guess? Whiskey?"

Forcing myself not to overanalyze my feelings, I answer him, "Tequila, muchacho! Jose Cuervo and I are old friends." I pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and gently mix them until the chocolate batter is perfectly spongy and cakey.

He doesn't say anything for a while, and when I turn my attention to him, I realize his eyes are on me - not in a creepy or malicious way, but more like I'm a puzzle he's trying to figure out.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Sorry." He shakes his head, and the flush of crimson embarrassment creeping slowly up his cheek throws me off for a second.

Not knowing how to react, I blurt, "I normally make a much better impression on people, you know?" I feel I have to say after the fiasco of me throwing up all over his shoes.

"Oh, believe me, I'm impressed," he says, and I'm about to reply when his phone rings. "It's my sister, sorry," he adds.

I make myself busy by filling the cupcake liners. "Sure. No problem."

"Hey," he answers, then rolls his eyes at whatever she is saying. "Yeah, I'm here... yeah.... she's actually making them right now... I don't know... Yeah, I'll be there soon... Okay, bye." He hangs up, his eyes on me. "She says she's officially in love with you."

"Hmmm... maybe I should start playing for the other team. Maybe I'd be luckier." I put the cupcakes in the oven, then turn to him. "More coffee?"

"Yeah, sure." He hands me his cup, and I refill it, noticing he drinks it black and with no sugar like me. "So, no luck in the love department?" he casually asks, making me pause.

"Are you- are you flirting with me?" My still obviously drunk self asks, making him spit coffee all over himself.

"I might really be out of my game if you need to ask me." He coughs and gets some tissues from a counter to clean his shirt.

"No, I mean... I just threw up on you!" I say and suddenly burst out laughing. Seriously, I'm never drinking again. How crazy has this day gone?

"Uh... okay! No more lame attempts at flirting! Noted!" He jokes, but when I take a good look at him, I see he's actually blushing.

"I'm sorry. I just had a terrible day. That was really rude of me, but..."

Well.. How do you tell a guy you just met you're completely messed up in the freaking love department?

Chuckling at my now flustered state, he says, "It's all good, really. You just... I mean, I did guilt you into baking for my sister while you're still a little drunk. "It's just..."

"Just what?" I ask when he stops.

"You're..."

"I'm what?"

"Refreshing, I guess. I don't know."

"Oh?"

"You're not really worried about your appearance and you're being very nice to my sister... and... "

"Do I look that bad?" I joke, because damn... I guess I just can't help it.

"God, I'm really making a fool out of myself here. I'll just shut up while you finish the cupcakes." He shakes his head, a hint of a smile on his lips.