❝code ten❞

EIGHT YEARS AGO

"Yongguk!" A cry of a mother was heard as she knocked on the door.

A 14 year old Yongguk opened the door as he scratches his eye, "Mom, I'm sorry but Zhenya still hasn't fallen asleep -"

A 12 year old Zhenya was playing with her dolls when she stopped to look at the woman who walked inside.

"You need to go now," Her mother said, walking inside and locking the door. She kneeled down on the floor, grabbing a duffel bag. "Get your sister's things."

"But she's -"

"No more questions, Yongguk!" She exclaimed in a high tone but her voice cracked. She was crying.

"Mom..." Yongguk said, walking closer. "What happened?"

"Gege... what's wrong?" Zhenya questions, tugging on Yongguk's clothes.

Her mother sniffed, putting some clothes in the bag, "They killed your dad - and they're planning to get you next if you don't get away,"

Zhenya was confused. Her dad... is dead?

Yongguk couldn't believe what he just heard. He knew his dad had enemies but he didn't expect they would attack so fast. He faced her sister, "Get your bag. And bring the stuff you need,"

Zhenya followed her brother's orders as she picked up her favorite stuffed animal, putting it in her small backpack.

Her mother handed Yongguk a small box and a piece of paper. "There's an address written on it. I want you to get a taxi and stay there for a while."

"But where are we going to?"

"It's someone I trust - someone your father and I trust. He was with us when we decided to make that syrum. Inside that box is an injection. Give it to him. Her daughter needs it."

"What's the man's name?" Yongguk questions, getting the duffel bag.

"Han Ruan."

"Mommy..." Zhenya utters softly, looking at her mom with tears. "Is Daddy really?"

"Sshh," Their mom hugged the both of them tight. "Stay safe and don't talk to strangers. Just get to Han Ruan and everything will be alright."

"But, mom, how about you?" Yongguk asked again, before walking to the secret door they had installed inside their bedroom.

A loud bang was heard from downstairs and Zhenya flinched.

"Go, Yongguk!" Her mother exclaimed, pushing them towards the other door. "Protect your sister!"

"Mommy!" Zhenya cried as Yongguk pulls her out. "No!"

The last sound Zhenya heard was a gun being shot and a person falling down on the floor with a loud thud.

✦✦✦✦✦✦

Zhenya woke up with a short breath, her body shaking and her heart racing. She was having a panic attack.

It was early in the morning and she was still in Xikan's bed, wrapped in his blankets.

"Hey, hey, hey, what's wrong?" Xikan panicked as he cupped her cheeks. "Look at me, hey, look at me."

Zhenya ignored his cries as she tried catching her breath.

"Zhenya!" Xikan exclaimed and clicked his tongue. He pulled her towards him, meeting his lips with hers.

She stopped panicking for a second, and her breathing almost returned to normal.

Xikan let go of her and pushed some of her hair out of her face, "You okay? What happened?"

Zhenya exhaled, squeezing Xikan's hand, "I - I think I just saw my mother get killed."

✦✦✦✦✦✦

January 30, 7:42 AM

SERPENTS' UNDERGROUND GARAGE

"Where'd you sleep last night?" Luo Zheng asked as they walked towards the plane. It was their transportation to Korea.

Zhenya shrugs, "Just somewhere,"

"Hold on.." Luo Zheng leaned in and started sniffing her. "You smell different."

"What are you talking about?"

He widens his eyes, realizing something, "You slept with -!"

"Shut up, Luo Zheng!" Zhenya covered his mouth before he could even utter a name. "We didn't do anything, okay? We just slept that's all."

Luo Zheng nods, as he saw Mingjun who was eye-ing them weirdly.

"What are you guys doing?" Mingjun asked, as Zhenya let go of Luo Zheng.

"Nothing," Zhenya says, picking up her bag. "Mind your own business."

Mingjun was planning to ask Luo Zheng but he interjects, "Don't ask. She acts like that to people she's not close to."

Zhenya walked inside the plane. She saw some of the Spades were already seated comfortably. Xikan wasn't here yet since he was still talking to Bu Fan when she left.

She walked down the aisle and found an empty seat beside Xinchun. She walked over, "Hi, can I sit here?"

Xinchun removed his headphones and looked up at her with cold eyes, "Someone's already sitting there."

"Really?" Zhenya asked. His cold attitude was new to her. Wonder what happened. "Are you sure? I can see no bag,"

Xinchun stood up and waved a hand at someone, "Li Quanzhe!" He faced Zhenya again, "My hamster's sitting there."

Zhenya saw Quanzhe strolling towards them. She looked at Xinchun again who was already sitting down, wearing his headphones. "Xinchun.."

She kept calling his name even when Quanzhe was already seated. The younger decided to stand up but Xinchun stopped him.

"Zhenya, are you done?" Xinchun asked, getting a bit annoyed. "We're about to leave and you're still standing there. Why don't you go sit with your boyfriend?"

And from his sharp words, she knew he saw everything that happened last night.