Regrets

A/N: Second to last chapter y'all!

oOo

Jungkook remembered the look in your eyes. The initial surprise and then the sadness and finally the tears. He'd heard your tears before, the muffled sobs on the other side of the line, but seeing them was different. How your face collapsed into your hands and the way your eyes were shut so tightly, trying so hard to stop the tears from falling, but failing. 

Being the cause of those tears was the hardest part. Jungkook wanted nothing more than to wrap you in his arms and hold you, but he knew that would make the tears fall harder.

He tried to remember how you looked before you saw him. Your soft features and long hair. You were beautiful, even more than he had imagined. But, in that moment, when he'd stood holding the flowers, he knew he didn't care what you looked like or who you were. Heck, Jungkook was convinced if Jimin walked through that door, he might've kissed him. 

Jungkook didn't regret revealing his identity to you. He regretted just about everything else.   

oOo

The first time you texted back was when the news broke. Jungkook had texted you at least once a day since the night of the concert. Simple things, like, "How was your day?" "Did you sleep well?" "Make sure to eat well." 

You never responded and Jungkook had long decided he didn't need you to, he just wanted you to be happy. He still harbored a hope that one day you would text back and want to meet, want to do something. Even if it was breaking the rules, he didn't care. 

When the news broke he was going to be in the ad campaign for the game that was once yours, he knew your heart would break, like you had broken his weeks before. Yet, he never expected your name to flash across his screen. 

oOo

You (8:51am): Jungkook, how could you do this to me? To Jimin? After what Dae put us through?

You (9:00am): I hate you

oOo

the day before

Jungkook shuffled in his chair. The cafe was nearly empty except for the staff and a couple towards the back. He sat across from someone he never thought he would discussing a business deal with, Kim Daewon.

"She knew the whole time," Daewon said. "Both her and Jia. They just wanted to get close to you. It started off as a coincidence that you happened to beat her score, but once she figured out it was you, she decided to take advantage of it." 

Jungkook stiffened. "Why should I believe you?"

"Why else would she be so upset when you revealed yourself? If she didn't know, why would she be upset?" 

"She said it's 'cause I lied."

Jungkook remembers the look on Jimin's face when he told him what Jia had relayed. His eyes down turned and his lips pouted.

"She'd get over that," Dae said. "I know her better than you do. She never stopped talking about you. I don't think one little lie would get in the way. She was just afraid you would discover her true intentions."