Chapter 6

The yard filled with shocked whispers and murmurs as the woman stood there with a straight and unwavering expression.

The man holding Jamie spoke before the auctioneer opened his mouth.

"Why would you wanna a girl like this?!" He glared at Jamie.

The lady began walking through the crowd.

"I do not mind paying her. We already have many of our servants under paycheck." She pulled out a checkbook and began to scribble on the paper. "Besides she isn't for my use."
She gestured to him. "Bring her down, I would like to see this girl up close."

The man hesitated. Finally, he sighed and jerked Jamie's arm.

"C'mon gurlie."

He pulled her from the stage, as she walked down the stairs, she caught a glimpse of Mary, staring at her in shock. Jamie smiled.

"Wha' you smilin' at? Hurry up!" He said angrily.

"Your drawl really stands out when you get mad." Jamie said.

He blushed.

"Sh-Shaddup."

They walked through the crowd until they stood in front of the lady. The man threw Jamie onto the ground so that she kneeled in front of her.

"Show some respect for the woman who just saved your butt." He growled.

"Fight me." Jamie growled.

Suddenly, the woman grabbed her chin, turning and lifting her head so that she stared right into the lady's dirt brown eyes.

Jamie stared strongly, unaffected. It's not the first time she's been glared at.

" "A fiery gaze that burns like no other.". " She released her chin and turned to the man behind her. "This must be her, take her to the car. Oh and also." She turned to the man behind Jamie. She handed him a check.

He looked at the check, and stumbled.

"All this?! Just for that girl?!"

"Just take it."

The man bowed deeply.

"Thank you!"

"I believe that this auction is over?"

Jamie didn't hear the rest of the conversation as the gray-haired man gently slipped his hand around her arm, tugging her to her feet and away from the two.

They walked in silence until they reached a large, long slick black limo. Jamie gawked at the limo as the man opened one of the doors, gently guiding her inside.

"Thank you..." She said kindly.

He merely nodded, and closed the door. Jamie looked around her. The inside was large, a small counter containing bottles of wine and different varieties of juices and sodas sat in the middle of the limo. Beside that counter was a small platter, holding a wide variety of sweets, many of which she had never seen before. Her stomach growled.

"That's right..." She thought, placing her hand on her stomach. "I wasn't able to get home." She gasped. "MOM IS STILL WAITING!!!" She moved towards the door. "I have to get home!"

Just as she was about to open the door, the lady opened it. She stood for a moment, looking at Jamie's panicked face. She sat down in silence.

"Where do you live?"

"I-I live in a small town a couple miles up the road from here."

"And what is it called?"

"Green Meadow."

"Alright." She picked up a slender black phone from the counter.

"Head to Green Meadow first, then we will head home." She placed the phone down and looked at Jamie.

"Isn't that town the one that throws all those large parties?"

"Y-Yeah."

She nodded to Jamie's ragged dress.

"Shouldn't you be wearing gowns if your town is so rich? Doesn't it share the money?"

Jamie looked down.

"Not really...."

The woman nodded and they sat in silence for a short time.

"Who is it that I will be under?" Jamie asked, looking out the window.

The woman looked at her with crossed arms and looked at the ground.

"His name is Colten Rider."

"So it's a man...no surprise." Jamie said, rolling her eyes.

"Not yet. He's 17. And because you are new I am going to let you off with a warning. Watch your tongue. He is not like many men in this world." The woman said firmly.

Jamie nodded.

"My apologies. It's just that every single man I've met had been a drunk, player, anything that doesn't define a man."

The woman nodded.

"Um...may I ask you your name?" Jamie asked shyly.

"Margret Kings. And you are?" The woman asked, holding out her hand.

"Jamie Henderson. It's a pleasure." She said, taking Margret's hand.

"Likewise." She said, leaning back into her seat.

"If I may ask, what would have happened to me if you hadn't bought me?"

"The girl's that don't get chosen, their fates are never set in stone. They could be set free where they had been kidnapped, they could be given to the man who had caught them or one of the kidnappers, in the most unluckiest of circumstances..." She paused. "They could be killed."