01 | Babysitter Recruitment

╔══════════════════╗

ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING
i. BABYSITTER RECRUITMENT

╚══════════════════╝

  OUR LIVES ARE COMPOSED of achievements

  OUR LIVES ARE COMPOSED of achievements. From our first breath to our last, we spend every waking moment discovering, growing, experiencing. We're learning to walk and talk, how to present ourselves within our ever-changing society. We're studying the alphabet and counting to 100. Everything we learn makes up our lives, and that becomes part of our history. History has always sustained an everlasting effect on us all, whether it's reminiscing wars, looking at old photographs, or becoming a murderer at two years old.

   Now, the title "murderer" shouldn't be taken too seriously. After all, it was a little... accident. Who would willingly murder their parents anyway? Surely, no one's Terrible Two's were that extreme... right?

   Known for their research regarding cell composition, Athena and Rob O'Dair were famously known as some of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s brightest scientists. They passed away on an unfateful Tuesday in the year of 2003 due to a fatal lab explosion. Their deaths came as a complete surprise; however, their case grew more frightening when their murderer was identified as their troublesome two-year-old daughter, Riley.

   Riley O'Dair never intended to kill her parents. Honestly, she didn't even know her lefts and rights at such a young age, so why would she want to murder her parents? Who the hell lets a toddler wander freely in a dangerous lab anyway?

   In a blink, Riley became orphaned at two years old. With no other family to take her in, she should have been shipped off to an orphanage. Instead, S.H.I.E.L.D. voted to take her in — not for the fact that she was a prodigy of legendary scientists, but for the fact that the untimely explosion gifted her with extraordinary powers.

   Raised exclusively by S.H.I.E.L.D. and acting as the world's youngest Avenger, Riley never knew what it was like to have a normal childhood. No days at school, no late nights playing the DS, no Sunday cartoons. When most kids are 11-years-old, they're playing with their friends and going to the park until sunset. When Riley was 11, she was battling Chitauri aliens and defending the Earth against a Norse God named Loki.

   Sometimes, Riley wondered what it was like to be a normal teenager. She'd turn on a movie and daydream being the main character in one, but at the end of the day, her place was with the Avengers. It's where she belonged, forever and always. There would never be a second chance for her, and now that she was older, she was okay with that.

   Honestly, Riley liked her life. She liked being a hero, which she was damn good at, even for a kid. She was helping people every day, making the world a safer place. She lived her life for her late parents, avenging them every time she saved someone else's life. She liked to think they'd be proud of her.