prologue

・†・

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.

one question with no definitive answer will always taunt the human race:

what happens when we die?

from the moment of our youth, we are shaped to develop an image of two distinctly different places for the dead:

heaven + hell.

Thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

the two could never meet, for they reside at opposite ends of the spectrum like day and night, or good and evil.

heaven is thought of as above, past the clouds, past lightyears in space, where warmth, brightness, peace, and eternal life prevails for the pure of heart.

hell, conspired to be below our feet, is past the earth's fiery core, located in the depths of despair, anger, hatred, and evil; it is the place where one must suffer for their sins.

along with that story, we hear of the angels— God's heavenly beings. they guide us on earth to the path of righteousness, watching over us in heaven as our guardians.

hell, therefore, must have its own counterpart: demons— Satan's minions who evoke their rage from death upon those on earth, possessing them and spending their miserable eternity haunting the humans, turning the good to bad.

Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

the two ideas juxtaposed together are thought of as competitive equals, both sharing equal amounts of power, regardless that one is holy and the other immoral.

however, that balance has shifted for the worse. heaven has began running on a shortage of inhabitants, the demons taking over and seizing more and more people for hell. a daunting number of citizens continuously succumb to hell, deserving or not, and the surge of hellfire grows as heaven's angels grow restless.

Lead us not into temptation, and deliver us from evil.

but what happens when one of heaven's angels, on a path to achieve new wings for herself, daringly meets hell's dirtiest demon with a plan to save humanity by converting him to his complete opposite: an angel?

Amen.

・†・