Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Tabitha

"Are you hungry, Tabby Cat?" Devon questioned, pushing a loose strand of hair behind my ear. We were back in his office, after him giving me a tour of the beautiful Pack territory.

"I actually have plans for dinner" I said, glancing at my phone.

"Not a date I hope" he teased, but there was an edge to his voice that said it wasn't that much of a joke.

"No. The reason I was around here was because it's my friend's birthday this weekend. Her and her fiancée are cooking dinner for me tonight. Well Joe will cook and Katy will just critique, just like when we were kids" I chuckled, rolling my eyes despite the fact my oldest friends weren't there.

"Since kids? I thought you were from England?"

"Born here but then moved to England when I was eight. I was at the right age that my American accent almost disappeared by the time I was a teenager. But Katy and I kept touch because we're cousins".

"But not a Werewolf though right?" Devon asked, brow creasing as he tried to work out my complicated life history.

"No, my mother is human. I must get the Wolf gene from my father, but I don't know who he is. My mother was only sixteen when she got pregnant. She won't speak about my real father, won't even give me a name. Didn't know he was a Wolf either. I just assume that I get it from him since I can Shift".

"It's definitely from him. The Werewolf gene is dominant" he nodded in agreement. "Your Shift? Is it easy?"

"It's easy" I nodded, "but I can't always control it".

Devon nodded, as if expecting that. "We have a group of Wolves in the Pack that are mixed-bred as well. But mixed with real Wolves not humans and they have similar problems. Can't control it and sometimes struggle Shifting back".

"I'm the same. Got fired from an amazing job recently because I missed a week because I couldn't Shift back".

"What job?"

"Victoria Secret" I replied.

"In the shop?" he asked sweetly.

I hid a smile, "no the Victoria Secret Catwalk Show". There was a moment of pause, before Devon looked at me, blinked and blinked again.

"Seriously? You're a Victoria Secret model?" a wicked smile slipped onto his lips.

"No, I got fired" I laughed, shaking my head. "I've done a lot of high end campaigns and I walked in Paris Fashion Week earlier this year. But, Victoria Secret was what I really wanted. So when I lost that, I also lost my agency. You don't piss off a client like that and just head off to another casting the next day. Puts a black dot by your name".

Devon's smile falter and frowned in annoyance. "So you're black listed from all modelling work now?"

"Nah, just until the hyper of the Victoria Secret Show is over. After that it will be forgotten and I can move on. But, not working meant I couldn't afford the rent for my New York apartment. So, I made the decision to have my 'cooling off' period up here with Katy...and here we are".

He chuckled, grinning brightly at me. "Yes, here we are".

After a little more small talk, Devon drove me back to my hotel – where I picked up my clothing. Devon explained to me that mates instantly lived together, and he wanted me to move in with him – and his twin brother Ramone. And, surprisingly, I agreed. It was a big leap of faith on my side, but there was something so strong between Devon and I that I couldn't let it go. I was going to do this the Werewolf way; all in, throwing caution to the wind.