Chapter 3

The drive back home is more uncomfortable, now that I'm having time to sit with my thoughts.

"Seriously," I start, and Owen sighs. "Why didn't you tell me?" He's quiet for a few moments, I guess figuring out an explanation.

"Like I told you, that life is behind us." Well that was a shitty explanation. He must realize that as he eventually continues. "I knew that as soon as I brought it up, you would think about Bella. You were finally starting to find peace with this whole situation, and I didn't want to bring it back up again." He glances at me. "I just wanted to live my life with you, and that life doesn't involve islands with life-threatening dinosaurs on it."

I stare at him and feel my anger start to ebb away.

"It's Blue though, Owen. You're really going to sit here and tell me you are completely fine with leaving her on that island to die? Along with all of those helpless animals?" He doesn't respond, but I can see he's deep in thought. "And, besides, I'm thinking of Bella now, and the only way I'll find peace is on that island, knowing she and the other dinosaurs are safe." I leave it at that and turn to look out the window until we get home.

We barely talk for the rest of the night. Owen works on the house until the moon is high in the sky and I stay in the RV, eventually going to sleep.

I wake up to the sound of faint chirping. I groan quietly as I rise from the bed and shuffle towards the noise. I squint at the bright light of the computer screen that faces me, and it takes a few moments for me to recognize it as a video playing. I step closer and I see Owen sitting in front of the computer, watching a video of him playing with the raptors when they were babies. The memory of what happened earlier today wakes me up more, and I walk up to Owen. I rest my chin on his shoulder and wrap my arms around him, watching the video.

"They were cute," I say quietly.

"Yeah, they were." I watch the video for a few more moments.

"You know you can't leave her there."

Owen sighs.

"I know." He reaches up and grabs my hand. The video ends.

"We should probably get there early tomorrow." I pat his chest and pull away, kissing his cheek before I go back to bed, leaving him at the computer.

———

The car ride is significantly more comfortable than yesterday's. Music plays gently through the speakers as I watch the forest fly by us.

My attention shifts to the music as a familiar song plays through the speakers. Go All the Way by the Raspberries begins and I can't help the smile that blooms on my face. I stare at Owen as an inexplicable joy spreads through me. Oh, this is perfect.

He finally notices me staring and glances at me in confusion.

"Can I help you?"

"Do you know who else likes this song?" He glances at me again, hesitant to answer.

"Do I want to know?"

"Starlord likes this song." His confusion is quickly replaced with exasperation. He rushes to change the song, and I burst out laughing as Come and Get Your Love starts playing instead.

"Are you doing this on purpose?" I ask through my laughter, wondering if he's really just doing this for my entertainment. His reaction tells me it wasn't on purpose, however, which somehow makes it even funnier. He sighs in frustration and changes the song again, and unfortunately it's not a song on Awesome Mix Vol. 1.

"Aw, come on! They were good songs!" I can feel him glare at me as my laughter dies down.

"Not anymore, apparently."

"Come on, just accept that you look like him! It'll be easier that way." Owen sighs at me again.

"Fine, whatever. I look like him. Happy?" I smile and lean over to kiss his cheek.

"Very, thank you." I glance at him one more time to see an amused smirk on his lips. I turn away to continue watching the landscape rush by.

-

Apparently we decided to get to the plane too early, as no one else is there when we arrive. We wait around in the car for about twenty minutes before giving up and deciding to sit in the plane, not wanting to waste more gas leaving the car on.

The plane is pretty small, seating only a handful of people.

"Well, this will be a fun flight."

Owen chuckles at me. "Not a fan of flying?"

"Not really, no." We toss our bags on the floor in front of the back seat and sit down.

"Well, I'll protect you." I look at him and meet his eyes.

"That's sweet and all, but how are you going to protect me if we're all falling to our deaths?"

"I'll find a way." I can't help but smile as he leans in and presses his lips to mine. I pull away slightly.

"I love you," I mumble against his lips.

"I love you, too." He kisses me again, a little rougher this time. I tangle my fingers in his hair and he hums in pleasure as I tug gently. Slowly he pushes me down across the seat and lies between my legs. I wrap my legs around his waist and he gingerly runs his tongue over my bottom lip. I try to pull him even closer to me, craving his touch. I can't help but shiver as his fingers trail up my shirt and dance across my skin. It's when he begins to unbutton my top I realize what we're doing. Reluctantly I pull away.

"Owen, wait." He stares at me and his eyes look darker than usual, hungry, and it takes all my willpower to not finish what we started. "Are we really going to do this here?"

He shrugs. "Why not?"

I laugh lightly as I let my head fall back against the seat.

"I don't know, maybe because we're on a plane? And the others could be here any minute?"

"I don't see how that's a problem."

I smile and sigh.

"Well, I do. We can continue this when we get back." He sighs as well and sits up, pulling me with him. I sit with my back against the window, facing him. He glances down and back up to me with an unreadable expression.

"Well, we have another problem now." I shoot him a questioning glance, but I see him uncomfortably trying to cross his legs and I can't help but start laughing, earning a glare from him.

"Sorry?" I try to offer an apology. He just shakes his head at me with a slightly uncomfortable smile.

A yawn suddenly forces its way out of me, making me realize how tired I still am.

"Ugh, I'm tired."

"Aw, poor baby." I shoot Owen a glare.

"Okay, lie down." I sit up as Owen gives me a weird look. "I said lie down." He hesitantly complies, and I can see him getting a little hopeful as I start to crawl on top of him. That hope is crushed, however, when I simply lie down across him, using his body as a pillow.

"That's better, thank you." I shift around a bit, purposely dragging my leg across his lap. A surprised moan escapes his lips, followed by a slightly exasperated chuckle.

"Oh, you are evil." He wraps his arms around me as I settle down.

"I know, I'm sorry," I mumble tiredly.

I'm not sure if he replies, since I pretty much immediately fall back asleep.