Chapter 4: Sweet Dreams

Before he even knew it, time had flown by and Adrien was packing up his bag for the end of the school day.

Surprisingly to him, when he messaged his father asking if he could spend the evening at Marinette's house, he said yes. Adrien had a feeling that his father, Gabriel Agreste, didn't mind Marinette all that much, since she wanted to be a fashion designer when she grew up and drew inspiration from him. Of course, this time it worked out in Adrien's favour, since his strict parent often didn't let him spend time in his friend's households.

Once gathering up his resources, Adrien approached Marinette at her locker and asked with a smile, "Hey! Ready to go?"

"Y-yeah, totally! I'm r-ready."

The kind girl's stuttering is something Adrien had grown accustomed to over time. She always seemed flustered when she acted clumsy around him, but the blonde boy didn't mind.

In fact, he often found it rather cute.

Nino and Alya left their two close friends to their own accords as Marinette and Adrien exited the school side by side. He found himself feeling very relaxed whenever he spent time with the pig-tailed girl, and this time was no exception. Adrien felt very lucky that he had an empty schedule on this day.

"So, summer's getting pretty close. Got any big plans?" he spoke up, making some pleasant conversation to break the silence they had been walking in.

Marinette tapped a finger lightly to her chin in thought. She replied after a few moments, "One of my c-cousins is having a wedding that my family's been invited to, and my parents had also t-talked of making some new recipes. I want to start designing a dress tonight too, and after that I'll probably continue to make new clothing designs over the summer."

Adrien smiled while he listened to his close friend continue to talk. She seemed to have an easier time chatting and growing more relaxed if he let her just ramble on. It's was almost like she forgot that he was standing there beside her. Before the duo even knew it, they had arrived at the front door of the Dupain-Cheng Family Bakery. Getting lost in your thoughts definitely does that to you, and Adrien chuckled when Marinette was shocked at them arriving so soon.

As they entered the small little shop, a genuine beam spread across Adrien's face as the warmth and comfort of the bakery made him almost immediately feel more at home. His green eyes shone with delight as the aura of fresh pastries and sweet sugary goodness smothered his senses. It was a sort of bliss he felt on very rare occasions, but Marinette's house happened to be one of those places.

It had a very sweet vibe, in more than just the smell.

Her father Tom gave them a quick greeting, "Hey there honey. Oh, and you've brought Mr. Agreste home with you as well! Hello sir!"

"Good afternoon Mr. Dupain."

"Hello papa!"

The young girl went up to her two parents and gave them both a peck on the cheek, while Sabine rubbed the back of her neck and told the two of them, "Unfortunately, Tom and I just finished all of our orders for the day and now we have to go out and deliver them to the customers. We were going to ask Marinette to cover bakery duty for a few hours until we get back, but we didn't know you'd be coming over Adrien. I'm very sorry."

Adrien gave a wide smile. "Don't be sorry, I'd love to help out Marinette!"

He couldn't help but notice the bright blush that appeared on his friend's face when he spoke, though she seemed to be trying to hide it.

"Y-you don't have to A-Adrien," she stuttered.

He waved his hand to her and replied, "Nah, I haven't baked in years. I'd love to help out!"