Chapter Three

Thank you so much for this absolutely stunning banner KaiyaLove much appreciate it (:

If you guys want to send in your banners/fan art, my email is open!! Midika36@gmail.com

Word Count: 1813

~Jada

Seeing this is making me shy away from my initial excitement.

The facility is imposing, a building behind the main office scaling larger than any other. The plaster cladding is an ash grey, the windows tinted dark and reflective. The office is slightly warmer, manicured gardens consumed by small topiary line a gravel footpath up to the main doors. The other buildings are similar, with more windows. But outside the ajar car door, despite the cold atmosphere, birds chatter and cherry blossoms from the drive sweeten the air.

"Inside, we will have your other contract ready for you to sign if you are willing," Prior says, as I nervously slide out of the car, leaving the plush seats of the SUV behind. "And then we will proceed from there."

I follow her as she abnormally strides along the gravel in her heels, leading me through the front door.

My assumptions were that this is an office. But there is no reception desk, no manicured lady or short sofas partnered with sleek coffee tables and lush green pot plants. Instead it's a blank room with charcoal coloured carpet and white wash walls. The room folds to the left into a hallway lined with doors. Prior ignores the doors in front of us, and leads us down the hallway.

"If you want to leave, you can," Prior tells me, not even bothered to glance over her shoulder to look at me. "Before you sign the contract."

The flatness of her tone tells me that once this contract is signed, there's no way out. And that makes me nervous. So much so that the walls seem smaller than they are as she leads me into a square, closed off room with a large one way mirror I can't see behind. Someone is watching me on the other side. It sets the fine hairs on the back of my neck standing up.

The room only has a sturdy metal plated desk in the middle which reflects the harsh light from above it, sided by two chairs where myself and Prior sit.

I'm cold. An air conditioner smoothly berates my skin with brittle air. I didn't have time to pack. I didn't have time to shoulder on a cardigan before I left. Could this moment get any worse?

I surprise myself, waiting patiently for Prior to inform me on what I'm here for. These people won't be pushed. They have an agenda that they will stick to, whether I press them or not. So I wait, rapping my bitten finger nails on the metal surface as Prior pulls a contract from her briefcase, setting it in front of me with a blue ballpoint pen. This contract is thicker by a few extra papers.

"You can read the fine lines, or I can explain to you how these next few weeks may go," Prior offers. I swallow nervously, glancing down at the words which jumble up in an utter mess before my eyes. I would much rather hear it from Prior, so I can question her if necessary.

"Go ahead," I murmur.

Prior glances at the reflective mirror before she starts speaking. "As you know, this is a competition. You will be placed in a sect to compete. There are four sects containing ten different people, who have been selected for the same programme as you. Only two will be offered the opportunity at the end. The eliminated will be escorted to the prisons where they will remain."

My throat goes uncomfortably dry. I knew that would be my fate regardless, however, the idea of going seems now repulsive. I don't expect to win, but I also hope that I don't get sent back. A part of me wants to run away.