Eleven - Kiara (Edited)

❀ ✿ ❀ ~ Eva ~ ✿ ❀ ✿

Dear Evangeline,

     Today is the day before I die. I hope you are doing well for yourself, Evangeline. I'm curious to know when Haven gives you this letter. Maybe tomorrow? Maybe in a year? Five years? That's one outcome I can not see. There are three things I want you to know.

One; I love you so much. I always have and I always will. You are my angel and you are my everything. Just know that after I'm gone, I will always be there for you, in spirit and alive in your memories.

Two; Your father and your sister will always love you, just as I do. Even if they blame you... they do deep down. Please forgive them one day for their faults.

And finally; you have a sister, a twin sister, one that is... alive. Your father does not know, no one knows, not even the council knows. All of the births of a white wolf are sacred and must be had on the sacred land of the white wolves. That is where I was born, that is where you were born, and that is where your children will one day be born, hopefully.

Your father knew I would have twins, but I only returned home with you, and I told your father and everyone else that there were complications and that your sister died. However, she did not, her name is Eriline and she is alive. Please... tell your father I am sorry I did not tell him about your sister, tell him I didn't mean to keep it a secret, but I felt like I owed my mother for not returning home after meeting your father, so I reluctantly left her there.

I couldn't foresee Erie's future, so I do not know what path she has chosen by the time you read this. I spoke to my village yesterday for the first time since you two were born. Erie is intelligent and capable and loved by so many. I hope she stays that way. I hope you will get to meet her one of these days.

I love you, Evangeline,

Love,

Mom

"Oh my god," I mutter, covering my mouth in disbelief. Mac looks at me and frowns, "What is it dear?"

"Haven told me that I had a twin but that he/she had died at birth but this... she said that my twin sister is still alive. Or was the day before my tenth birthday. I do not know anymore if she still is."

Mac blinks a few times and frowns, "Yes, I remember that she told us that Eriline had passed."

I wipe my tears and let out a breath, "I need to contact the village. How do I do that?"

"I will get you their number, ask for Kiara, she is your grandmother."

Mac nods and pulls out a blank paper and scribbles down a number, "I will leave you in peace. Use the phone in there, no one will be able to listen to your call."

I bow my head in thanks, "Thank you, Councilman."

"I hope the best for your sister," he murmurs and then stands up, making his way out of the Bunker. I stand and hurry into the next room, sitting down at the table and sliding the phone toward me. I pick it up and dial the number.

It rings. Once. Twice. Three times. Click.

"Hello?"

"Hi..." I murmur and I swallow. My voice shakes, "Can I speak to Kiara please?"

The other voice stays silent and then, "Hold please."

I hold my breath and squeeze my eyes shut. A minute later, a soft voice appears on the other end of the phone, "Hello?"

"Hi... is this Kiara?"

"Yes, who is this? This number isn't known by many."

"Councilman Mac gave it to me. I am the daughter of April White. My name is Evangeline."

She gasps, "Oh my moon... it's been years. You are eighteen now if I remember correctly, yes?"

I nod my head and smile, "Yes."

"I am your mother's mother."

I let out a soft breath, "I know. Mac told me to ask for you."

"How are you, child? You should come home."

"I would love to, but I cannot."

"Tell me what happened that day. Were you with her? April..."

I frown, "Yes, sadly. It was a car accident."

"A car a-accident?" Kiara murmurs softly. "Those have never killed a white wolf."

I bow my head, "I know. It was foul play."

"How?"

"I have reasons to believe that someone caused the accident, that someone wanted her dead."

She falls silent for a few moments, "Oh my... I am so sorry."

"As am I," I whisper and then clear my throat. "I'm looking into it. If it was planned, I will find out who did it, and I will avenge her death."

"Good," Kiara murmurs gently. "Now... tell me, child, why can you not return home? This is the sacred land, the land where all of the white wolves have been born. You must return home."

"After my mother's death," I begin quietly as I lean back into my chair. "My pack shunned me and blamed me for her death. When I turned sixteen, I met my mate. He was the Alpha's son, but much to my dismay, he rejected me. So... I ran away and now, two years later, I am the Luna of my own pack. The hunter population has grown significantly over the last two years and my old pack has lost many good wolves because of them. So, the council asked me to come and train them so they can defend themselves."

"I see," Kiara murmurs. "I am happy for you. Are you happy?"

I nod and smile softly. "Very."

"Have you reconciled with your father and sister?"

"Yes, but I haven't forgiven them. They both blamed me as well for mom's death. It won't be easy for me."

"I understand, child. If I had the opportunity when I was young, I would've left just as your mother did. But I am a White Elder now, a leader, I cannot leave."

"I will come visit once I have finished training them. I would love to meet you and the rest of the pack in person."

"We would love to have you back home, Evangeline."

"I have a question about my sister... how is she?"

"Ah, Erie, she's quite the wolf. Strong, just like your mother."

"Is she there? Does she know about me?"

"Like your mother, your sister chose to go to California, and a few months after she told us she would not be returning home. I haven't heard from her since. She knows of you, but she believes both you and your mother died during birth, which is why her mother wasn't around while she grew up."

"What's she like?"

"Strong-willed, independent, I wasn't surprised she decided to stay in California."

"Did she find her mate?"

"That I do not know of," she sighs. "If I hear from her I will let you know. What number can I call you from? This one?"

"No, I'll give you my number. This is the phone in the Bunker and I won't be able to answer. If you need to tell me something important, something you don't want anyone else hearing, then say 'The moon is high tonight.' and I will make my way to the Bunker and call you back. Phones are not secure these days, grandmother."

She chuckles as I tell her my personal cell phone number. "I will do that, dear. Stay safe, I'll call you in the morning."

"Talk soon."