Awkward

Ashton Evans ↑↑↑

Ashton Evans ↑↑↑

Ashton's POV

"Do you remember Rayne Jones?" Keith asked.
I frowned in confusion as his grin grew wider. The name did sound familiar, but I couldn't place a face with it.

"No." I finally answered, cracking my fingers, a habit I developed when I was frustrated.

"She used to go to our fifth grade class before she moved halfway through the year." Was he seriously asking me to remember all the way back o elementary school? I couldn't even remember what I did last week.

"Are you talking about that slightly chuby girl with braces and weird glasses?" I suddenly recalled. "The one who's hair was always frizzy and gross? The girl with extremely annoying laugh?" I would have continued, but I didn't want him to rip my arm off. The glare he was sending me was pure evil.

"You can shut up now her glasses weren't weird. He hair was cute and crazy. Her laugh was unique and funny." Was he seriously telling me that he had hots for the geekiest girl in the school?

Why wasn't I surprised?

"What about her?" I asked after a few seconds of silence. He huffed loudly and made a turn.

"She moved back for freshman year. we began dating second semester of sophomore year." I couldn't believe it. He made me wear this uncomfortable fancy attire for her? I could only imagine what she would look like today. Exactly like a grown up version of her younger self.

"You're not saying anything?" He questioned after he parked the car. We were outside the Golden Clam, the most expensive restaurant in this town.

"I'm speechless." He chuckled and got out of the car. He seemed so happy, I had no choice but to follow along.

"She should be here soon."

I couldn't wait.

Rayne's POV

I managed to forget who Ashton Evans was. I was in fifth grade anyway, and I was too busy trying to make it through the year.

After moving to Europe, I had managed to completely forget my life and friends here in LA.

But now feeling his constant gaze on me, I remembered. Ashton and I used to be math buddies. He would always make weird face at me when I laughed. I had to admit it wasn't something nice to hear, sincerely I sounded like a female version of SpongeBob and Goofy combined. And let's not mention the random pig snorts when I cracked up.

That would leave a person traumatized for years.

"Nice to meet you." I said and extended my hand. To be honest I really wasn't interested in getting to know him back then.

He stared at me for a while before nodding to himself. "So you're the one, Huh." He smirked, totally leaving my hand to freeze. I quickly settled it to my side and focused all my energy trying not to frown.

I couldn't shake the feeling that his words had double meaning. Somehow that I wasn't good enough for someone like Keith.

I already knew that but he still accepted me anyway.

Noticing the weirdness of the situation, Michelle jumped in complaining that she was starving and got a hold on my hand, dragging me forward. I caught the look of confusion flash through Keith's eyes before he trailed after us.

This was going to be a long night.