You Had To Be There [Taylor x reader]

"Taylor wait-"

He didn't. Instead, he made his way out of the house, not bothering to grab a coat as he walked into the cool night air.

(Y/N) sighed, grabbing a coat off the rack and tossing it over herself before running after him.

"Taylor- wait up- you need to tell me what's wrong-!"

He stopped, surprising her as she jogged forward. He'd woken up from a nightmare again, and yet again, he refused to talk about it with her. (Y/N) meant well, really she did, but she had no idea how to comfort him. She hadn't been on that moon, and she hadn't seen what he saw.

As much as she liked to pretend she had a plan, she had no idea what to do.

She caught up, panting a bit as she did so. "You need to tell me. I can't help if I don't know what I'm helping with."

She put a hand on his arm comfortingly, only for him to flinch away. She held back a look of hurt.

"I- I can't..." He sighed.

He was tired. He'd been tired for a while now, actually. He hadn't had a full nights rest since he got home, and it was making him irritable and paranoid.

"...Can't what?" She asked.

"I just-! I can't deal with this (Y/N), I'm sorry-"

"Can't deal with what? Taylor I don't know what you're talking about."

"This!" He snapped, turning to face her. "The sleep depravation, the nightmares- not knowing if the greens are coming to earth- I just... I can't take this anymore."

(Y/N) stood there for a moment, shocked. Eventually, she took a deep breath and tried again to put a hand on his arm.

"I know it's hard but... I'm here for you, and-"

"You don't know what it's like!" He said loudly, once again wrenching his arm away from her touch. "You weren't there! You don't know!"

He wasn't angry. Far from it, he was incredibly distressed. She could tell, from the fearful look in his eyes and the exaggerated movements of his arms. Still, it hurt for him to snap at her like this. They weren't usually the kind of couple who fought- not like this. Not screaming at each other in the middle of the night, or taking their frustrations out on one another.

"How could you...? You weren't..." He trailed off, more to himself than to her.

By this point (Y/N) was holding back tears. She knew he was hurting, but there was no way to help him. She had no idea how, or how to figure it out.

"I... I think I need some time to myself for a while." He said, after a while of silence.

She didn't have the strength to stop him as he walked past her and further into the night. She sniffed, rubbing at her eyes as she walked to the house (probably to call Arika and Wynn for comfort).

What was the point of being a Lifeline, if she couldn't help the person she loved more than anyone else in the world? She didn't know.

Whatever the case, (Y/N) thought, it seemed she'd finally come across a problem she couldn't solve.