Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

“Right then,” Mrs. Condon chirped, a conspiratorial gleam lighting her eye. “I’ll just leave you two alone to chat.”

“No!” Phoebe spat, marching after her. She grabbed Mrs. Condon’s arm, not caring that James could see and hear everything that transpired. “Absolutely not. Do you know who he is?”

“Why of course, my lady. This is Colonel Witherspoon of His Majesty’s Royal Cavalry. He was good enough to bring home your painting supplies.” She smiled. “I know the two of you are already very well acquainted, and have a great deal to catch up on. Why don’t you go to the sitting room for a visit? Elizabeth and I will let you know when dinner is ready.” Mrs. Condon spun and stepped lightly into the kitchen.

Seething at the total insubordination demonstrated by her servant, Phoebe stomped after her, fists clenched at her sides. “I have nothing to say to that man.” Fresh tears welled in her eyes. “You know what Colonel Witherspoon did to me.”

“Nothing you didn’t invite on yourself.”

Phoebe ignored the quip. “Why did you let him come here?”

Mrs. Condon’s demeanor grew serious as she faced Phoebe once more. “Lady Phoebe, you are one of the steadiest, most level-headed young women it has ever been my privilege to know. For you to be taken in so completely by Colonel Witherspoon, I can only believe there is real love between you.”

“But he left me,” her voice cracked as all the humiliation she’d battled the last months welled up inside her. “I would have given him everything, but he left without a single promise.”

“Would he have come here now if he didn’t love you?” Mrs. Condon asked softly. “Your brother is one of the most powerful men in Britain. Colonel Witherspoon risked a great deal in coming here. Give him the opportunity to speak before you make a decision that will affect the rest of both your lives.”

Confusion churned in Phoebe’s stomach as she turned to stare out the window. “The decisions have already been made. Everything is done. All I want is for this horrible ordeal to be over so I can move on with my life.”

“It won’t be that simple, my lady. That child is a part of you and will remain so until your dying day. There is no shame in choosing to give the baby up, in doing so you would give another family great joy, a gift unlike any other, but I want that choice to be on your terms not your brother’s or for the sake of propriety.”

Phoebe drew a shuddering breath and absently dropped a hand to the tiny mound rounding her lower abdomen. All the fight and anger drained from her as sadness and longing battled her ever present shame. “Very well,” she said softly. “I will speak with him.”

“Would you like to freshen up first?”

“No. I would like to get this over with.” Squaring her shoulders, she lifted her chin, and strode from the kitchen.