♥ Part Two: Adulthood Begins ♥

I originally planned for this project to end in June, but I'm having so much fun, I extended my novelette-length idea to accommodate a fanfiction novella.

So I'm going to write more in July, then edit through August, so I can finish up in September.

What's the difference between a novelette, novella, and novel? Length, really. While a novelette is under 10K words—and Part One: Childhood Ends was 9,866 words, as of the second (edited) version!—a novella is 20K to 60K words, while a novel—like two of my other Wattpad projects, Emergence No. 7 and A Shapeshifter, Cyborg, & Wisp—is meant to feel substantial, 60K words or more.

Of course, that's only my take on it.

National Novel Writing Month asks writers to aim for 50K words, and other sources suggest different lengths, too; none of that word count stuff is set in stone. It's all just guidelines.

In case you wanted to see the outline I made for this project, it's on my Launchpad (external link).

But I'm not sure if I'm going to follow it through to the end? I like to give my characters a long leash. If they wander off for awhile, that's okay. I can always edit nonsense out later.

This is the first fanfiction I've written since early childhood (elementary school!), when I tried to convert the beginning of FFIV—with Cecil and the Red Wings, flying back to Baron—into a school play; I didn't think it'd bring me this much joy.

I hope you're enjoying reading it as much as I enjoy writing it! Remember to star (⭐) chapters if you like 'em, because that's how other readers find them. 🤓

♥♥♥

First draft: June 18

Second draft: August 18

Third draft: September 18

Word count: 296