Chapter 4

1 week later
Isle of the Lost
Nelani POV

It's already been a week and I am so glad that I joined the crew. Although I've had to change my look a bit, and I haven't really done much because Uma wants me to heal up, I am loving it. Uma is letting me stay by her side, she is giving me the tips and tricks of the ways of a captain (well third in command) and the crew are already starting to like me. Even Gil, even though I practically took his spot. I've been getting close to Harry. Turns out he isn't as annoying as I first thought. He still calls me Lassie, but I don't really care anymore. After I'm healed, he is going to teach me sword techniques, but for the moment, I'm going out doing little errands for Uma, something that will apparently be a regular chore. Ugh, that's probably the only bad part about being apart of a crew, but having three meals a day and a place to sleep at night is worth it.

"Nelani!" Uma called, marching into Ursula's Fish and Chip shop.
"What?" I ask, annoyed. I am eating a greasy lunch of fish and chips. Ursula's Fish and Chip shop is the second hang out of Uma's crew, where we come for meals and to get away from the ship. It's not half bad.
"I think that we could start off with some basic sword skills. Take it easy on those ribs though, we don't want to damage them too much." Uma said, throwing me a sword. I clumsily caught the blade with the handle clattering on the ground a bit. "Harry!" He stood up and faced Uma. "You know what to do." She left us and I held onto the sword with two hands.
"First of all, one hand on the handle. The other is to help ye balance." Harry said. I tentatively let go with one hand remaining on the blade and Harry nodded.
"Good. Now, I'll teach ya the proper stance for 'en garde' and then how ta properly lunge, parry and riposte. And we'll see how we go from there." He said.
"Whatever you think, pirate boy." I tease, and he smirks.

We practise for hours, Harry correcting my stance until it was perfect, and then experimenting with a few basic attacks. He said we wouldn't start fencing until I was fully healed, which I was grateful for. As much as I enjoyed Harry's teaching, I didn't believe I was ready to start fencing just yet. I feel a lot more confident about picking up a sword, they were similar to the daggers hanging up in Jafar's house, but much heavier and harder to wield. Harry was a surprisingly patient teacher, which made me think that he had done this before. He never teased me when I got things wrong, and he never tried to make me look bad. In fact he did quite the opposite.
"Try the 'en garde' stance once more." He ordered. I stood with my feet shoulder width apart and my knees bent with one foot pointing forward and one pointing to the side, making an L shape. I held the sword in my hand with my arm not quite fully extended. I looked at Harry for correction, but he just smiled. "That's great. Remember Lassie, this is a defensive stance, it allows ya ta--"
"Attack and defend. You told me." I say.
"Good." Harry smiles. "That's all for today. Yer a quick learner, Lassie."
"Well, you're a good teacher." I say. Harry gave me a cocky grin and scoffed. "Don't let it go to your head."
"Just ye wait, in a couple of weeks ye'll be singing my praises."
"Yeah right." I laugh. We walked in silence then. Because he was second in command, and I was third, we had to share a room. I didn't really mind, there was enough room, but having another girl would have been nice.
"Hey, Harry?"
"Mmm?"
"Who taught you to fence?" I notice him visibly tense at the question.
"Me da'." he said sharply, giving me a look as if to stop the conversation there.
"Oh." I say.
"Yer lucky it's me teachin' ya an' not 'im." He says bitterly. I don't respond, feeling awkward as if I was intruding on something, which I was, technically.

I open the door to our room and jump straight into my hammock. I immediately regret it as pain spikes up through my side. Harry must have heard me wince.
"Ya eejit." he says, coming over to me.
"It's nothing." I say.
"Clearly." he replies sarcastically. "What did Uma say? Go easy, Lassie."
"Sorry, jeez." I grumble. He puts two fingers on my side and I bite my lip as he brushes over my ribs.
"You should be okay. Just no more jumping into ya hammock." Harry says, taking off his pirates hat and sword belt and getting into his own. His brown hair is disheveled from the hat, his natural curls coming down in front of his eyes.
"Thanks." I mumble as I turn onto my good side. Harry's easy snores drift me off to sleep.

The next days follow the same pattern. I do my duties in the morning and in the afternoon Harry is teaching me sword skills. We still haven't properly dueled but I'm getting stronger every day. It hasn't been long but I've changed since the scared girl that used to live in Jay's shadow. I hardly think about them now. I don't hate them, but I certainly can't forgive them for leaving. In fact, I won't. They can have Aurodon. But I am happy with what I have with Uma and her crew. I have a real family, and for once, I'm not scared or being punished. I'm in control. And nothing is going to stop me from being the baddest villain the Isle has ever seen.

You haven't seen anything yet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMG!! So here we go, new chapter, hope you like it.