Chapter Six

Carson sat in the spinny chair behind the teacher's desk, her feet propped up beside Jughead and her arms crossed behind her head

"Welcome to the inaugural meeting of the Swords and Serpents Club," Jughead announced.

"Which is what, exactly?" Toni asked.

"Like I told Fogarty to lure him back to dear ol' Riverdale, we are a gaming group. Sanctioned by Mr. Weatherbee, himself. Where like-minded students can meet and concoct world-building, role-playing scenarios, inhabiting fantastical heroes and dispatching mythological creatures," Jughead explained, throwing his orange peel in the trash can.

Carson laughed, lightly kicking Jughead with her foot, "Ah, now tell that what this really is, Jug."

"It's a club, for us. A safe haven where we can be Serpents, during school hours and under everyone's noses. We're not shedding our skins. We're lying low, in the tall grass," Jughead informed.

Fogarty raised a brow at Carson, "And her? A Lodge in what is now a Serpent's home?"

Carson smirked, "I may be a Lodge, unfortunately. And I may not be a Serpent, only in my dreams, but I stand with y'all. Lord knows how much I hate almost everyone in the North side besides a couple of people."

"She may not be a Serpent on the outside, but trust me, she's definitely one on the inside," Jughead smirked at his best friend.

"Maybe she could be one," Sweet Pea smirked, standing up from the desk he sat on.

Carson looked at Jughead then at Sweet Pea, "Well isn't that a crazy idea."

Forced out of the hotel, Carson rested her head in the palm of her hand, listening to what her parents, Fred Andrews, Mayor McCoy, and sheriff Keller were discussing.

"The students we transferred to Riverdale High are fine," Mayor McCoy started.

The Lodge sisters shared a glance.

"- but their parents are in my office, every day, wanting me to reopen Southside High."

"Which is why we've been discussing how our new neighborhood could use something positive to focus on. With your blessing, we'd like to make Pickens Day bigger, more of a celebratory event," Hermione proposed.

Carson sighed, she didn't agree with anything that came out of her mother or father's mouth, not even her sister's, but here she was.

"Sponsored by Lodge Industries," Hiram added.

"And Andrews Construction. . co-sponsoring," said Fred.

"You mean you wanna turn Pickens Day into a commercial for your SoDale project like the open house?" Carson asked her mother with furrowed brows.

No matter what, to her parents, it always seemed like Carson was against them.

"Au contraire, sissy, the open house was for investors, but this event would be for North and Southsiders alike. Two halves of a whole coming together–"

"And trying to distract people with a party?" Carson asked her younger sister.

"Exactly. What if it backfires and things get violent?" Mayor McCoy asked.

"No. What about the Serpents? They've been quiet lately, but they're wild cards - and they could cause trouble," Sheriff Keller said.

Carson let out a breath of disbelief, the serpents aren't completely bad. No one ever sees the good in them.

Carson looked at her sister and whispered, "Does no one see the human in the serpents?"

Veronica looked at her sister with sad eyes. "I do, Car. I understand your point of view."

Carson smiled lightly, "You're a pain sometimes, but I hope you know that I do love you, Ronnie. You're my little sis."

"And you're my big sis. And I'm always going to stand with you even if I don't show it," Veronica assured, touching her sister's hand.

"We've thought of that," Hiram said to Sheriff Keller, "And so we've offered to hire them as security for the event."

This made Carson turn away from her sister, "You want the serpents to be your guardsmen? Is that all you see them as? Some people who look threatening and others know not to mess with them?"

"Carson," Hiram hissed, making Carson lower in her seat.

"Fred, you're on board with this?" Mayor McCoy asked.

"FP told me the Serpents are looking for work, figured we'd let 'em keep the peace -"

"Not the teens," Carson muttered.

" - I'm sure you had your reasons for closing down Southside High, but this is an opportunity to let the Southside know that you're not turning your back on them."

"Hey, Dad."

Everyone turned to see Archie walk into the dining room.

"Hey, bud."

"Archie," the Lodge sisters greeted.

"Sorry to interrupt. Mind if I join you guys?" Archie asked.

"Actually, we were just finishing up. Mmm-hmm. Thanks, Fred, for having us. Madam Mayor, you'll let us know in the morning?" Hiram asked as the Lodge family gathered up their things and began to walk out.

"Hey, Mr. Lodge," Archie nodded.

"Excuse me, Archie," Hiram simply stated before walking past him.

"Ouch," Carson whispered to Archie, chuckling softly then walking past him as well.