10. Date Night

Fridays are usually routine for me. I'll wake up early in the morning, take a shower and straighten up the mess my room has become in anticipation of bringing home my random conquest of the week. This week however I sleep in and race to the bathroom to get ready for my day at the office rather than making sure I looked good enough to step out into the club tonight. After I take a hot shower, different from my usual ice cold ones I'd been growing used to as of late, I climb out and wrap a towel around my waist before walking up the counter to prepare myself for my day.

I brush my teeth and run a brush through my hair before giving my face a quick shave. Once I'm happy with my appearance I head into my room to get dressed and throw on a pair of jeans and a black polo. I was a huge fan of the business casual look and since I had no meetings with executives I could enjoy my day in comfortable clothes rather than my insufferable suits.

"Al I'm hungry" Beth complain, laughter falling from her lips outside my door.

"So? Come back to bed" Ali whines making me roll my eyes. My best friend could be really needy when she wanted to be.

I walk over to my door and pull it open to find both girls dressed in sports bras and athletic shorts. "Morning ladies."

"Josh" Beth blushes, breaking from Ali's embrace. "Did we wake you?"

I chuckle, shaking my head. "Not at all. Are you joining me for breakfast?"

"No" Ali says at the same time Beth agrees. I laugh as Ali's expression changes to one of frustration. "Why?" she whines. "We have time to make up for."

Beth rolls her eyes. "Honey we will" she says softly, caressing her cheek. "We'll have plenty of time after Josh goes to work" she adds, leaning forward and pecking her lips before skipping down the steps leaving Ali and I alone.

"Having fun?" I ask, leaning against the doorframe and quirking an eyebrow at her.

"Of course" she concedes, allowing her smile to reappear. "We uh weren't too loud last night were we?"

I shake my head. "Nope. I slept like a baby" I assure her. "Now come on and get some breakfast" I insist as I push off the door and head down to join Beth in the kitchen.

Upon reaching the foyer my phone vibrates in my pocket and I pause, grabbing it to see who was already up as early as I was. My heart skips a beat when Maya's name flashes across the screen and I physically curse myself. When did I revert back to my teenage self where I got giddy every time the girl I liked texted me?

MAYA: How many Christmas trees (if any) do we need for the event?

JOSH: Of course we need trees! I uh have no idea how many though? Maybe one large one like in Central Park?

MAYA: That may be a little hard to accomplish with so little time lol. I'll look into it.

I furrow my eyebrows as I look up at the time to check and make sure I hadn't slept in too long but eight twenty-seven stares back at me confirming that Maya is at work early.

JOSH: Why are you at work already?

"Josh" Ali exclaims as she wanders back into the room. "Are you coming?"

I look up from my phone and hold up my finger to signal just a minute. She rolls her eyes and walks back into the kitchen as Maya's next message comes through.

MAYA: Rough morning. Needed an escape.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the guy seemingly living with her.

JOSH: That sucks. You eaten yet?

MAYA: No. Why?

I smile. Breakfast with Maya sounded like the perfect way to spend my morning.