12: Selling My Soul

☆ 12: Selling My Soul  ★ 

"What do you suppose Vincent wants to talk to us about?" I ask Harry as we enter the deserted elevator of the SYCO building. 

Vincent had called us early this morning to arrange a time to "discuss the contract" as he put it. I have to admit, I'm nervous. Although I understood a majority of the contract, I was still wary on if I had misinterpreted anything, or if there were any loopholes. 

"No clue," Harry answers as he presses the button for our floor. 

Yup, there were those short answers of his again. 

Just like I had expected from him after dinner the other night, Harry and I went back to We'll-Only-Talk-When-It's-Absolutely-Needed. It has become an Unspoken Pact between the two of us. I guess I shouldn't be complaining, this isn't supposed to be a social event. It's a job now. But more importantly, it's a way to get me back to my roots and that was all I should be focusing on.

Thanks  to my conversation with Eleanor and Danielle the day before, I decided that I will just let Harry come around to me. I was done reaching out to him. I was just going to do my job and do what is expected of me. Harry wasn’t going to become a problem because I wasn’t going to let him become one.

The elevator comes to a halt and we get off, making our way down to Vincent's office in silence. The small thuds of our mismatched footsteps against the carpet was the only noise we were making.

We reach two large, glass doors with the words Vincent Waller on a plaque next to it. Harry doesn't hesitate. He simply knocks twice on the door before pushing it open. He must come here often to treat his manager’s office like a second bedroom.

I quickly follow Harry into the room. It was a typical office setting, in my opinion. There was nothing special about it. Plain walls, minimal decorations, big wooden desk with a matching chair and in front of the desk were two seats facing inwards. The only thing that stood out was the picture of a lady on his desk, whom I was guessing is his wife.

Next, I immediately spot Vincent, who was standing with his back facing us. He was talking on the phone, but upon hearing Harry barge in, he turned around and nods for us to take a seat.

"Yeah, I've got it all covered," Vincent says as he walks away from the window and to his seat. "They just walked in now, so I'll have that for you soon. Yeah; okay that sounds good. See you then." He hangs up and tucks his phone in his front pocket. 

"Who was that?" Harry asks curiously taking a seat. I followed his lead and took the seat opposite of him.

"Just legal department. They want to know when I'll be getting Paige's contract in," Vincent replies while placing his hands on top of the large desk, lacing his fingers professionally. "Paige, did you bring the contract with you?"

"I've got it right here," I say, pulling out the stack of papers from my bag. I hand them over to Vincent.

"Good, very good," He takes the papers and looks them over, flipping through each one carefully. His dark eyebrows furrow together as he reads. Suddenly, Vincent looks up at me, his signature fake smile showcasing on his thin lips. He tosses the contract onto the center of his desk before leaning back in his chair. 

"So, how are you liking London?" Vincent asks casually.

"It's nice," I say, nodding my head. "Eleanor and Danielle took me out yesterday. I got a nice tour of the city after we went shopping."

Vincent nods his head dismissively. "That's fantastic. And have you and Harry gone out together at all?"

"Uh, like how do you mean?" I ask, cocking my head. "We went to dinner the other night, if that is what you were wondering."

Vincent studies Harry curiously, who just shrunk back in his chair. "Was it just the two of you?"

"Um, no. It was the whole group and Eleanor and Danielle," I answer hesitantly. Was I missing something?

Vincent's gaze grew intensely and I suddenly understood what was happening. "Harry, didn't I give you specific orders to take her out?"

"Yes, and I did take her out," Harry answers, leaning further back in his chair and as far away from Vincent as possible.

"You know I meant on a date," Vincent says angrily. "You were supposed to go out, be a couple, show everyone how happy you are. I asked you to do one thing, Harry. Please don't make this anymore difficult than it already is. We're doing this for you and the least you ca-"

"For the record," I say cutting Vincent off. "Harry and I were 'showing everyone how happy we are'. We didn't have to be alone to do that. It's just as easy to celebrate with friends than as a couple."