Chapter Twelve

Sebastian looked so haggard Noah almost felt bad for him. Almost. Then he reminded himself that this stranger had been in his house, inside his room, and still hadn't offered a plausible explanation.

However, that wasn't to say that Noah entirely disbelieved him.

When he looked into Sebastian's eyes, he saw Basti. He knew those eyes. The cat had been his confidante and friend off and on for years, and for some reason, finding out that it had really been some sort of guardian angel following him around and keeping him safe hadn't shocked him as much as it should. And when he'd seen Sebastian the man, so many memories came flooding back, all the times they'd met before. Why had his mind blocked images of man but not cat? Unless...

"Did you do something to me? Why am I only now remembering having met you before? Tell me you didn't mess with my mind."

Sebastian's gaze shifted away from Noah's face.

"Unbelievable."

"It's a biological defense mechanism, Noah. We can't have humans knowing about us. We'd be dissected, or worse, exterminated. And there are certain species... Let's just say some would enjoy a convenient excuse to declare war on humans. This peace is a tremulous one."

Noah didn't want to admit it, but he was beginning to have trouble keeping his eyes open. The lack of sleep and stress of the attack were taking their toll. He still had so many questions, and he was afraid if he didn't ask them now, Sebastian wouldn't be so willing to spill his guts tomorrow.

"Okay, setting aside the psychological manipulation—for now," he said, casting a pointed glare at Sebastian, "why have you been following me around so much lately?" He looked around at the small but well-appointed apartment. "It's obvious that you have a place to live, so what's with turning into a cat and following around some poor homeless guy?"

Sebastian's head drooped, and he'd slumped farther down into the fluffy couch cushions. Then he yawned wide enough to crack his jaw. "That...is a long story. One I actually do want to share with you, because you think I saved you, when really it was you who saved me. But..."

Noah sighed. "But you're exhausted."

Sebastian nodded, apology telegraphed in his expression.

"Yeah, I am too." Noah said. "I should... I need to get going."

That apparently was enough to wake Sebastian. He sat up, spine stiffening. "Noah, I'm not going to let you go sleep on a park bench or inside a crypt! Especially not after the night you've had. Take my bed. I'll sleep right here on the sofa."

"I never actually slept in the crypt," Noah muttered, aware that he sounded like a petulant child. "Look, I can't just invade your home."

"You can and you will."

When Sebastian's voice went growly like that, it made Noah's belly flutter, which caused him great annoyance. But then the bone-deep exhaustion reared its ugly head. "I'm too tired to argue with you. Just one night."

"Sure," Sebastian said, capitulating too easily.

Noah didn't believe him at all, but he'd given up caring until he got some sleep.

Sebastian stood with a grace Noah couldn't fathom, crossing the room to what turned out to be a linen closet. He got a few towels out and motioned for Noah to follow. "This way."

They went down a short hall, then through one of two doors. Sebastian's bedroom was small and Spartan, but the one thing he appeared to have splurged on was the bed. It took up nearly all the square-footage of the room. The drapes were pulled, and the only light came from a dim lamp beside the bed. Noah wrapped his arms around himself, feeling suddenly very alone and very insignificant with his new enlightenment about the world. What good was one young human in an existence of magic and immortality?