20

A/N - New part, people! Finally! Sorry for how long it's taken me to get this out but inspiration has finally struck, so enjoy!

**

Empty. Numb. Void. How many words could I use to describe how I felt? Blank. Hollow. Anaesthetised. Alone. Plenty, it would seem. The sound of the flatline once they'd switched the machines off still brought me out in cold sweats. A couple of weeks had passed since then and it hadn't gotten any easier. Jace somehow managed to get me through the funeral, and Joe even let Jimmy come home to be by my side through it all. It turned out my mom left her house to me, so all I'd been doing the past few weeks was remaining housebound, replaying old memories over and over again as if she were still around. I'd told Jace I needed time and space which he surprisingly honoured without too much protest. His only condition was I check in once a day to let him know I was alright, which as far as conditions went wasn't too much to ask.

"Brook?" I heard a familiar voice call from the kitchen. I was sat cross legged on the bedroom floor with my mom's trunk full of photos and memorabilia spread out around me. I'd lost track how long I was there, but I knew I hadn't slept or eaten in over 48 hours. My pyjamas hung looser on my body than before though they were all I wore lately. My hair was greasy from my lack of showering and hung limply down to my chest in straggly waves. I hadn't bothered to look at my reflection, but I didn't have to see myself to know what a state I looked.

"Brook, are you home?" The voice came again, only louder and closer to me. I slowly glanced up as light spilled into the room from the hall as the bedroom door was pushed open. I hadn't bothered to draw the curtains back since my first night, so the sunlight invading my eyes still made them sensitive. My eyes settled on a familiar pair of baggy jeans with boots underneath, up to a slightly too big white t-shirt with a cut over the top. Craning my neck further up, my eyes settled on those beautiful blues. He didn't say anything, he just stared hopelessly at me before letting out a sigh and crossing the room.

"Come on." He muttered as he leaned down to grab me. I recoiled from him and shook my head.

"I've let you fester in here for long enough. It's time to get up." He sighed and placed a hand under each arm then lifted me up to my feet. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders and drew me into his side before walking me over to the bathroom. He sat me on the closed toilet seat then turned the taps on to fill up the tub. Wordlessly he brought me back to my feet and peeled the dirty clothes off of my body, tossing them into the hamper in the corner. He eased me into the now full bath, then set about scrubbing me down. If I was in my right mind I'd be screaming at him for the indignity, but grief had turned me into a shell of my former self so I allowed him to do whatever without protest. I had to admit, the water felt nice against my skin, and my hair already felt better after he'd convinced me to lather some shampoo into it. Once all the grime had been washed away, Jace wrapped me up in a towel and lead me back from the bathroom to my bedroom.

"I can manage now." I mumbled as he went to dig out some clothes for me. He looked at me and nodded after a moment before disappearing out of the room. I slowly put on some underwear and a pair of jogging bottoms with a baggy vest. I still wasn't in the mood to put any decent clothes on. I sprayed some detangler on my mop of hair and set about combing all the knots out with gritted teeth. Once I'd lost half of my hair to my comb I shoved it back into a messy bun before padding out of the room and into the kitchen. Jace was scraping food off of the pile of plates I'd been leaving into the trash when I entered. He didn't look up when I entered the room, he just continued to clean. I sunk down onto one of the empty kitchen chairs and folded my hands in front of me and watched him as he furiously cleaned up after me.

"I'm sorry." I finally blurted out, making him pause. He was stood over the sink with his back to me, and had let his head drop after my words. Sighing, he turned around and walked over, pulling the chair beside mine out and sinking down into it.