Chapter Ten- Nightwalkers

This chapter is dedicated to inlovewithmalu and slala288 who have been insisting that I post! Thank you guys!

:D

Chapter Ten- Nightwalkers

"We're going to Ambrose's, right?" inquired Nathanael, looking at me stonily, as if girls were bawling in front of him every day. Which probably was true, since I bet that he broke many hearts in the past.

"Ye-yeah," I said, almost choking on a sob.

He opened the passenger door of his silver Porsche for me and waited until i climbed inside to close it. Whoa, what a gentleman! After all I guess that the prince of vampires is supposed to have some manners.

I fastened my seatbelt and leaned against the seat, feeling totally empty. The tears had dried, and I felt exhausted now, as if I had run a marathon. Even my muscles were sore.

When Nathanael sat in his own seat and started the almost-inaudible engine, I looked out the window to admire the urban landscape that scrolled behind it.

At first we were silent, Nathanael let me mope in my own corner, letting me feel miserable on my own, just the way I liked. I wondered if he knew me well in our past life. I wondered if we were brother and sister, or if we were just friends... or maybe even a couple. And I wondered just how much he knew about our past.

I looked at him. He wore a blank expression, his eyes glistening with each streetlight we passed, the neon lamps coloring his face in every color of the rainbow.

"Nathanael?" I began uncertainly.

He looked at me briefly and something passed on his features. It looked like... nostalgia.

"Yes?"

"What were we in our past life? I mean, were we friends, brother an sister, cousins, or whatever?"

He smiled a humourless crooked grin before answering.

"No. We were lovers," he announced, and his tone was so filled with some unidentifiable emotion, that I wanted to ask him what he was feeling.

Was the dream I've once got related to our past life? The one in which my clone and Nathanael's clone were doing naughty things in some Victorian bedroom?

"L-lovers?" I stuttered.

"Don't you remember? Have you even tried recalling those memories?" he asked, looking at me with that same indecipherable expression.

"But... but I thought that Ambrose said that I had no memories of my past," I mumbled, confused.

"No. Your brain," he extended his hand and tapped on my forehead delicately while I frownedm, "has no memories of that past. Your soul has."

"So what do you remember?" I asked, trying to sound indifferent, but I was really burning with curiosity. Was it because we once had been lovers that my body reacted so strongly to his touch and his presence? And had I any desire to try to love him again?

"Quite a lot. Maybe not everyhting, but a few things," he looked at me again, and his expression softened and melted into one of affection. "I remember you, mostly. And I remember that it wasn't just one life that we had been together. It had been a lot of existences, a lot of different incarnations." He hit the brakes at a red light. The glow of it colored his face in crimson, as if he was blushing.

He extended his hand again, and his fingers slid down my cheek.

"I remember your face... Every damned time it was the same. You're everywhere. In each of my existences, you had been a part of my life." His eyes met mine, and he must've seen something that pleased him in them, because he smiled brilliantly. "I bet that your senses remember me," he murmured, voice soft and velvety. "I bet that your whole body remembers mine."

"Maybe," I mumbled breathlessly. At that moment, all I could think of was his fingers on my cheek, and I couldn't help but want more. More of his touch.

But then he pulled away, leaving me breathless and shocked.

"I'll show you how to access your memories," he promised, looking back at the road, "if you want to, of course."

We were at the human/vampire border, and when his window slid down, they didn't even require an ID, they just let him pass through.

"Yeah, I would like to see what you saw." Even if that meant more naughty scenes of my clone and his.

"We have all summer," he said with a half-smile. I wasn't sure what he meant but I didn't ask either.

"How is it that YOU of all people know so much about the Rebels? You are the dammit PRINCE of vampires. It's so not in your interest to have your father dethroned," I said, looking at him curiously.

"At first it was because I despised it all. You don't know how boring it is to be always served, to be always taken care of, like a baby. Even all the girls couldn't help it. I was just bored, and Ambrose was always my best friend. He was the one who told me about the Rebels. At first, he would only tell me rumours about them, urban legends about their exploits, but when he saw that I was really interested in joining, he told me the truth. And of course, I had been enthralled by the idea of being in something forbidden," he said, his half-smile growing into a full, amazingly gorgeous grin. "I was like a little boy eating cookies before dinner. I knew it was forbidden, but it only made it better."

I remained silent for a while, processing what he just told me, feeling like the mystery he was to me had just been a little bit less... well, mysterious. I noticed that he had told me that he had felt like his at first, but what were his motivations now?

"And now, why are you doing this?" I asked, looking at him, studying his expression.

"Now you are there. I can't leave you alone. I want you to remember everything I remember, Luce. I want us to be..."

To my utter dismay, he didn't finish his sentence, and I never heard what he wanted us to be because we were already in front of Ambrose's huge mansion.

The guard of the grounds let us in after seeing Nathanael and I found myself admiring Ambrose's garden. The flowers were bathed in the moonlight, their colour turning velvety, their beauty fully visible. I could see roses, mostly red almost everywhere and the mansion's walls were covered in thick ivy, almost disappearing underneath the creeping plant.

Lights were turned on in some of the rooms, but most of the windows were black, gaping empty holes.

Nathanael parked the car in the same underground parking lot I remembered from our other visit, and we walked into the richly decorated mansion, all velvet and gold, dark polished wood and silk.

Ambrose was in the huge entrance hall, an all-knowing smile on his face, looking as if he knew something I didn't know.

"I knew you would accept my proposition!" he exclaimed, looking very pleased with himself.

"I couldn't have done otherwise," I mumbled, looking away from him. I could feel Nathanael's presence behind me; felt the warmth that radiated from him in pulsing waves, which attracted me to him like steel to a magnet.

I remained still nonetheless and looked at Ambrose, who was beaming in front of us.

"Are you ready to become a Nightwalker?" he asked, walking toward me. When he was directly in front of me, he grabbed my shoulders and his green eyes bored into mine.

"Wh-what's a nightwalker?" I asked, feeling my confidence flee with every passing second.

"This is what we Rebels call ourselves," he explained, patting my shoulders.

"Then, of course I am ready to join you," I muttered, looking at my feet.

"Excellent!" he exclaimed and whirled around to walk away. "Then I shall prepare your initiation."