8

When we made it to the restaurant Angela and Jessica were just leaving

When we made it to the restaurant Angela and Jessica were just leaving. We walked up apologizing, "Where were you we left you messages," Angela said

"Yeah, we waited, but we got hungry so," Edward and Jasper walked out, Jasper standing close to me, placing his hand on my shoulder, his cold fingers touching my skin. A pink tinted blush spread across my cheeks as I stared at the two girls in front of me.

"Sorry, we kept Bella and Lilith from dinner, we just ran into each other and got talking," Edward made up an excuse. I nodded along looking at the blonde boy stood next to me and then toward my sister who mirrored my expression.

"No, we totally understand, I mean that happens right. Um, yeah, we were just, we were just leaving," The short brunette came to our side, "Bella, Lilith, do you wanna?" Jasper interrupted

"I think we should take the girls in to eat," His accent drawing me in. It was like a bee to honey. I smiled softly looking at Jessica and Angela as they made comments about how sweet the notion was. Though only one sounded like they meant it. I bit down at my bottom lip as they walked us inside. Bella by my side as she looked at me with a look that seemed to be mixed with confusion and content. We sat at a table, the four of us in awkward silence. I tapped my fingers onto the tablecloth wood. The waitress came back with our food. She looks lustfully at the two boys next to us. Bella and I look at each other a mirrored look and scoff as we turn back at the food in front of us.

"You guys really aren't going to eat?" Bella asked picking up her fork. I pushed the cooked pasta around the plate awaiting the answer. I picked some pasta up as Edward answered Bella's question with a special diet answer. I sighed at the poor lie.

"You have to give us some answers," I spoke up looking mostly at the blonde brother.

"Yes, no. To get to the other side, and 1.772453851," Edward said, causing me to roll my eyes as Bella and I spoke in unison.

"We didn't ask for the square root of pi," Causing both boys' eyes to widen "Smart ass," I added though causing Bella to nudge me. I shot her a look, which she returned

"You knew that?" I glared Bella asked the next question

"How did you know where we were?" She asked though Edward responded stupidly with he didn't. She grabbed our bags pulling me to leave. Jasper grabs my other wrist softly life he was scared he would break me. Edward says wait, she places our bags down slowly, sitting back down "Did you follow us?"

"We feel very protective of you guys," Jasper said I snorted crossing my legs trying to get comfortable.

"So you followed us," I said

"I was trying to keep a distance in case you needed our help, then I heard what those lowlifes were thinking," I tilted my head, heard what they were thinking. Can he hear thoughts now?

"You say you heard what they were thinking?" Bella said Edward's face dropped he knew he screwed up looking up his eyes, shifting between Bella and me. "So what you read minds," Bella said disbelief present in her voice

"I can read every mind in this room, apart from the both of yours," he started looking around the room, "Money, sex, money, sex, cats..." I snorted looking at the man as he sighed dreamily before looking at the normally quiet Jasper. I grabbed his hand over the table "But you two, nothing, it's very frustrating," Edward said looking Bella straight in the eyes.

"Is there something wrong with us?" Bella asks causing Edward to chuckle

"See, I tell you I can read minds, and you think there is something wrong with the both of you," I looked at Jasper who seemed to be uncomfortable.

"What can you do?" I asked the blonde, he raised his eyebrows in surprise at the blunt question. "Weirdos normally flock together, haven't you seen me and Bella," I joked, causing him to smile and Bella to push me, causing me to laugh slightly.

"I'm an empath," He said that actually made sense, "I feel the emotions of the people around me," he further explained to us. I frowned thinking about all the bad emotions that probably affected his mood.

"So do the emotions you feel affect yours or can you just feel them?" I asked, curious about his gift? Power? I don't know what you would call it.

"Yeah, actually," he smiled as the conversation or flirting between Bella and Edward continued. I ate my food talking quietly to Jasper about whatever came up. Edward pays for the meals, and we get up to leave. In the car, Jasper sat in the back with me and Bella up with Edward. I held Jasper's cold hand in mine, the coldness numbing my fingers, not that I cared. Bella says something about being warm enough and both her and Edward reach for the dial, their fingers brushing each other my breath catches in my throat, the same tingles that I got that day at the diner ran down my spine. Bella pulls away, shocked looking up at the bronze haired man.

"Your hand is so cold," Bella says, Edward speeds up his hands, gripping the steering wheel tightly. Flashing lights ahead of us causes me to furrow my eyebrows. "What is going on?" Bella asks

"Our dads still here, can you pull in?" I ask unbuckling my seat belt as he pulls in. I open the door

"That's our father's car on the end, what is he doing here?" Edward says we all get out walking toward the building. Dr. Cullen walks out his medical bag in hand as he looks solemn. "Carlisle, what's going on?" He asks his foster father. He looks up at us, frowning.

"Waylon Forge was out on his boat near his place, I was just examining the body," My hand raised toward my mouth in a gasp. Waylon was one of Dad's good friends. Jasper grabs my hand, a wave of calm hits me. I turn to look at him thankful for the feeling.

"He died?" Bella asked, Dr. Cullen nods, "How?"

"Animal attack," Though the words didn't sound like the truth like there was a hidden meaning behind them. I looked to see Edward with a look of fear on his face. I looked at Jasper who mirrored the look of horror.

"Was it that one that got that security guard down in Masen?" Bella asked Dr. Cullen inhaled sharply before answering.

"Most likely," he replied once more looking at his sons with the same look he was giving them before. Bella says something about it get closer to town, though he interrupted with "Bella, Lilith, Waylon was your father's friend," He was trying to get us to go away, Bella agreed quickly, grabbing my hand. I looked back at the father and his two sons, confused at their behavior.