Maréah's birthday party

Page One

Maréah had just turned thirteen, she and the other kids at the orphanage for children who have superhero capabilities were celebrating her birthday that day. they were all sitting around the table when ms. Tailfeather brought in the cake. it was a beautiful pink cake with two candles that was a One and a Three to say "13".

After ms. Tailfeather sat the cake down on the table, her and the kids sang happy birthday to you to Maréah.

After they sang, Maréah blew out the candles, and ms. Tailfeather cut the cake and served it.

As the kids sat there eating their cake and ice-cream, one girl asked Maréah if she had wished for anything?

Maréah simply replied "yes! matter of fact, I have."

the same girl who asked the question said: What did you wish for?

Maréah looked at the girl and said: for what every orphaned kid wants! Parents!

after Maréah finished her cake she asked ms. Tailfeather if she could be excused from the table.

Page Two

after ms. Tailfeather nodded her head yes, Maréah left the table and went to her room and sat on her bed. she laid there, just thinking, wondering if anyone would ever adopt her. after awhile of thinking, she sat up. ms. Tailfeather walked in and sat on the bed beside Maréah and said: what's wrong?

Maréah looked at ms. Tailfeather and said: will I ever be adopted?

ms. Tailfeather said: Honestly?! yes! I believe so. Not only do I believe it!, I know it.

as ms. Tailfeather grinned at Maréah, Maréah said: who is my father and mother?

ms. Tailfeather looked at the floor with a downcast face, and said: since today is your thirteenth birthday, I will tell you. Back when you were just a baby, a man who works for an agency called S.H.I.E.L.D. dropped you off-

Maréah asked: what was his name? was he my father?

ms. Tailfeather said: No! he is not. Anyway! after he dropped you off, he said "Her name is Maréah." I said "who is her parents?" he said "that's classified" I said "what is your

Page Three

name?! could I have your name?" he got a notepad and a pen out and started writing. when he finished, he handed me the note-paper, and after I took it. he said "incase you need to reach me or any of my team, call us." and then he just turned around and walked away. and after that, I haven't seen him since."

Maréah said: what did the note say?

ms. Tailfeather said: It said "Phil Coulson" and under the name was a phone number.

Maréah Asked: do you still have that number, ms. Tailfeather?!

ms Tailfeather started digging in her pockets, and soon pulled out a piece of note paper that was crumpled up. she un-crumpled the paper and handed it to maréah. Maréah took the paper and started reading it. the number's were slightly faded, but the agents name was as clear as the day he wrote it. after Maréah finished reading it, she asked ms. Tailfeather if she could use the phone.

ms. Tailfeather said: I will call.

So Maréah handed ms. tailfeather the paper back, then they both got up.

Page Four

Ms. Tailfeather got her cellphone out of her pocket, dialed the number and after it rang once, someone answered and said: Hello!