Chapter One

Chapter One

"Kate, you want to play hide and seek?" I ask her.

She nodded, and giggled like crazy. I should have known she would say yes. She loves that game, all though she's terrible at it. She always laughs and gives away her hiding place. I love Kate, even though she's my half-sister. My mom got remarried about seven years ago, and she had Kate. Kate was six, and she was about the most adorable six year old that I've ever seen. She has chestnut brown hair, and baby-blue eyes. Her eyes were always filled with innocence. She has dimples when she smiles, and she had a square jaw-line. Her face was in the perfect shape of an olive.

Kate laughed one more time before scurrying off to find a hiding place. I chuckled to myself as I closed my eyes and leaned against an oak tree. I was a little afraid that Kate would get lost. We were in the woods, which is easy get lost in. I hardly ever take her in my woods, but today was an exception. We just came back from the lake. I had promised to take her swimming, so we went today.

I started counting numbers, not stopping until I reached thirty. I opened my eyes, and started to walk in the direction that I heard a little laugh.

"I'm gonna find you, Kate!" I playfully yell.

She snickers in the distance.

"No you won't!" she yells back.

She's hiding near the pine tree to the right. I follow her voice to the tree, but she's not there. They're is no more giggles. It's silent all around me except for the faint chirping of some blue jays. Fear settles in me, and I began to panic.

"Kate!" I yell.

I get no response, and I still don't hear her giggles.

"Kate! Come here!" I scream again. My screams echo throughout the empty woods. Panicking, I run through all the trees trying to find her.

"KATELYN!" I yell at the top of my lungs.

Still no answer. It's all my fault! She's gone! What do I do? I can't go get help. I can't leave. I have to find her.

I suddenly hear an extra pair of footsteps behind me, and I feel relief flood through me. It must be Kate.

"Kate, is that you?"

When I don't get an answer, I turn around to find no one. Confused, I turned back around. Then, a hand grabs me from behind, covering my mouth from screaming. I am to afraid to move. The next thing I know, a cloth is placed on my nose, and everything went black.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry if the chapter sucks. It'll get better, I promise. Thanks for giving my story a chance! :)

-Elizabeth