I had to convince him.

"Look Mitch, if you really want to check out LA and figure out if it's right for you, we haven't seen each other in so long and I could show you around LA. I could show you around all of the nice neighborhood and apartments, where I work, cool places to hang out and of course tourist spots. If you agree to let me show you around for a week, I guarantee you'll figure out which decision you should make." 

The words came out of my mouth without me even considering the possibility of sound crazy and being turned down.

"Scott, I- that's a big offer. But I'm only visiting for 2 days to do the photo-shoot and I don't think-"

"-You can stay at my place." I add.

Mitch quickly rejects that offer. "I could stay with Candice. I'm staying with her in a few days and she's always been welcoming."

"So, you're considering it?" I ask excitedly.

"Uh, I-I don't know." Mitch says shyly. 

My heart flutters. He sounded like he did in high school. 

"Okay." I respond. "Well, if you would like to meet up when you get to LA this week, I would really love to see you again. And if you want to take me up on my offer sometime in the future, I would be happy to show you around LA for a week."

"Right." Mitch says shortly. 

"So, that's it?" I ask sadly, realizing that becoming friends with Mitch wouldn't be so simpe. 

"I mean, I'm happy we talked. I wasn't sure if we wever would after... well, after you ignored me for so long." Mitch sasses.

He was always so sassy, but he seemed more confident in sticking up for himself, which made me happy. He'd certainly developed some quality of thick-skin. 

"Yeah, I'm an asshole. I know." I sigh. "But, please let me make it up to you? I regret shutting you out, and I-" I pause, deciding to let my feelings out. "I've missed you."

When Mitch doesn't respond, I get nervous. Maybe I shouldn't have said that? 

Mitch sighs very audibly. "Look, it's been 3 years Scott... And you were my-my best friend, but I've already already accepted the fact that you would never talk to me again so this is just... weird."

I really fucked up. I fucked us up. I should have considered Mitch instead of being selfish and breaking all forms of contact with him when we ended things.

"I'm so sorry." Is all I could say before Mitch would inevitably hang up on me. 

But he didn't hang up on me, and what he says next may be the only hope I have to get him back into my life in some shape or form.

"I've already forgiven you, Scott. I had to. I couldn't stay mad at you, I-I can't... I wouldn't be able to live with myself." He says, shakily, voice growing weaker and weaker. 

I knew him well enough to know he was holding back tears. 

I let his words sink in as I try my best to cover up the fact that I'm now crying. "I don't deserve your forgiveness, but i'm glad you found peace and are so happy and successful." 

"Same here, I'm happy for you too. Look, my boyfriend is coming to pick me up soon, so I've gotta go. I guess we'll talk in a few days?" He giggles. 

I feel my heart flutter at the sound of his adorable giggle. "What's funny?" I ask curiously, ignoring the whole "boyfriend" name-drop thing.

"Sorry, I just can't believe we're talking right now. The situation isn't funny at all, but I'm laughing because it's really wild."

"Yeah, It is." I agree. "So we can meet up in a few days before you head back to Arlington?" I confirm hopefully. 

It takes him awhile to respond, but when he does he lets out a shaky "I would love that."

"You know I never forgot about you or stopped caring, right?" I grin happily. 

"No, but I always hoped you still did. I never stopped either, so I hope we can still find a way to be friends." Mitch responds softly. 

It may not be the ideal situation, but I would give anything just to be friends with Mitch again. I don't know if we'll ever be able to be like how we were in high school, but Mitchell Grassi would always be a part of my heart whether in a romantic way or platonic way. 

"I'm relieved to hear that." I sigh contently. "I always hoped that we could someday reconnect and if nothing else, just become friends again. Because I won't ever stop caring for you."

"Well, we'll see. I'm not sure what my boyfriend will think about me meeting up with an ex..." 

I bite my lip, trying to stop myself from responding "You're an adult, you can make your own decisions and your controlling-ass boyfriend doesn't decide who you get to hang out with."

--