Chapter 3

When night fell, I was finishing up on training newborns on how to defend themselves from the enemies when I heard Jasper yell from a distance. On instinct, I raced over to where he was but halted to a stop when I saw he was only just training the newborns and using his soldier voice to get their attention. Since I was basically done with y work, I decided to sit on a nearby log and watch how he trained them. I know how to train newborns due to experience, so I was curious as to how he would train newborns when it's been only his second day of being a vampire after his transformation.

I frowned when I saw he wasn't training them for a vampire war, but for one for human wars. He was training them like they were humans. That wasn't good; newborns are powerful and human techniques wouldn't work.

I approached his side when he was watching them fight one another, frowning in befuddlement when things weren't going his way. I nudged his side to get his attention, Jasper automatically smiling at the sight of me. "Hello, darlin'." he greeted me.

"Major," I greeted back. "Good training...for a newborn." He turned to me with a raised eyebrow. "You're fighting like a human. You need to fight like a vampire." I clarified for him. "I'll show you." Grabbing his hand, I pulled him to the field where the newborns were, calling for their attention. They all created a circle around us, looking at us curiously. I twisted around to face Jasper. "Okay, attack me."

"Pardon?" he blinked. I rolled my eyes at him.

"Come on, you said this to me when you were teaching me how to fight when we were humans. It's just like that."

"Yeah, but that's because I knew that I wouldn't hurt you intentionally." he protested. "I don't want to hurt you."

"What, you think I can't handle myself?" I scoffed. I showed him the many scars on my arms. "Jasper, I think I can handle this." It seemed only then he saw the scars that painted my skin for the first time since we reunited, gawking at them. He and the others backed away from me by instinct, the scars representing a danger to them. I quickly rolled my sleeves down, getting into a fighting position. "Just try and wrap your arms around me," I said, changing the subject. With only small hesitation Jasper ran straight at me. Already seeing the move, I crouched and easily jumped over his blurred form, landing behind his startled form. He turned to me quickly, fist flying to me and smacking me across the face. I flew a couple feet away from his strength, standing up immediately with a grin. Good, he was getting the gist of it.

When I looked at Jasper, he was frozen and staring at me in concern and horror, his inner gentleman hating him for laying a hand on me. As sweet as he was, he had to understand that the vampire world was different, that newborns ere females as well and needed to understand that he had to fight back whether they were against his morals or not. They would only bring him into a dangerous situation.

"Melanie, are you okay? I didn't mean to, it was by instinct -"

I easily landed a punch to his gut, flitting around and hopping onto his back, my mouth at his neck. He immediately halted, hands held up in surrender. "Newborns always charge forwards like an idiot," I stated, hopping off his back to move in front of him. "Newborns are predictable and will go for your front. That's why you have to surprise them." I moved gracefully, tackling him from the side much to his surprise. "Try getting them in the sides, they won't expect it." I continued, helping him up. "And don't take forever to study them. They're not humans, they will fight by instinct and without a thought. At least find their weakness in seconds." I moved a couple feet away from him, crouched in a fighting position. "Again."

This time Jasper acted without hesitation, taking my advice seriously. He held on longer. The newborns watched us with intrigue, taking note of what I showed them. I won that round again, though Jasper held no grudge and smiled at me. He dismissed the newborns and watched them fight one another with more knowledge on how to. I smiled at the view approvingly. Now I knew Jasper would survive the wars and I won't have to worry about him so much.

Walking around the field, I saw Jasper fighting with one newborn, looking to be having a good conversation with the person. I felt his emotions; he was quite happy like he was merely talking with a good friend. I flitted to their side quickly, curious about the newborn.

"Melanie," Jasper grinned, easily defeating the newborn, "this is Peter. Peter, this is Melanie my best friend since we were humans."

"Hello, Ma'am, nice to meet you." Peter greeted politely, giving a small bow. By habit, I gave a small curtsey back to him despite the fact I was wearing pants. Jasper snorted at my awkward movement, wrapping an arm around my shoulders and ruffling my hair. I glowered at him, fixing my hair when I got out of his grasp.

"It's nice to meet you, too," I said back. I looked between the boys. "Do you guys know each other?"

"No, this is the first time meeting one another, but he's nice to hang around," Jasper explained, hinting at the newborn's emotions that were positive; a contrast to the main emotions going around. "I've noticed that most newborns here don't really like talking and prefer to hunt."

"Yes, you two react differently to other newborns," I noted, "you guys are able to keep sane." I turned to Peter. "I couldn't help but notice your fighting skills, you're quite good."

"Why thank you," Peter smirked. "I guess I have good teachers." Jasper and I smiled at the compliment.

"Is it okay if I have a match with you?" I asked him curiously. Jasper tensed from beside me, worried for my safety. "I want to see how well you fight against me." He sent a small glance to Jasper for approval, seeming to already get how much I meant to Jasper. The Major gave a small nod, Peter turning to me with an excited smile.

"Let's have at it, then!" he exclaimed. Unable to help myself, I allowed an excited smile to fall on my lips, influenced by his positive emotions.

The three of us continued to fight one another and get to know each other, surprisingly having fun at a place such as this camp where human screams echoed around the area, with newborns fighting one another.

Shortly the Sun was soon to rise, making Jasper and I escort all the newborns to the barns and sheds they were to reside in until the Sun fell. "The myth isn't real, is it?" Peter asked us concerned. "We won't actually die from sunlight, will we?" Jasper and I turned to each other amused, deciding to taunt the newborn a bit.

"Best not find out, just in case," Jasper told him cheekily, Peter looking scared and quickly scurrying to the barn. "See you later, Peter."

"Don't die!" was all Peter said before we closed the door to the barn. Both of us giggled at our new friend's behaviour, walking back to our tents.