Chapter 43

Shawn

It was pretty great having Joanna around. The kids loved her, so they were happy with the temporary roommate situation. She was a damn good cook, so cooking meals with her was a bonus. It was also just nice to have another adult around to talk to. I had an active enough social life that I wasn't exactly starved for adult conversation, but in my day to day life, I spent most of my time talking to a 7 year old and 5 year old. Of course I loved talking to both of them, but it wasn't the same as talking to a someone my age.

Joanna did really well with my children for the couple days I was in New York. I had several meetings with my label; one long one was to work on the production of the live album. Another was a promotional photo shoot. It felt good to be back in the music game. It was energizing.

On the way to the airport for my return flight, I'd picked up a bunch of Magnolia Bakery cupcakes. They made me think of Mallory, but not in a sad way. Joanna and the kids were thrilled with the treat.

At first, Joanna stayed at the condo even when the kids and I were at the house in the woods. She'd even declined coming to the country for my birthday week, though we'd had breakfast together on the day I turned 29, since the kids and I didn't leave for the house until later that day. I'd woken up to a big breakfast feast of bacon and eggs and hash browns that she'd prepared with my children. Before we left, she gave me a present. It was a beautiful red engraved wooden sign that said 'The Mendes Family Home.' She said it was for the house in the woods. I proudly hung it above the front door.

After three weeks, Grace and Nolan finally convinced her that she needed to come with us during the week.

We were on our way to the country house, playing music and singing along to it.

"Do you get sick of this drive?" Joanna asked between songs.

"Never. It's an easy trip and it's not too far," I said.

"It's certainly a beautiful drive. It's so green this time of year," she said. "The time I went the leaves were off the trees."

"The house is better in summer!" Grace said excitedly. "There's the pool and the patio and we make s'mores every night!"

Joanna looked at me. "You never mentioned nightly s'mores. I would have come sooner."

"We do eat a lot of s'mores, but not quite every night," I said with a chuckle.

"Yeah right, Dad," Nolan said.

Later that night, we were eating s'mores, as promised. The kids had been night swimming in the pool, which they loved because the multicolor pool lights were so pretty. Afterwards, we sat around the fire pit. Joanna and I were sharing a bottle of red wine which paired well with the chocolate in the s'mores.

"It's like being on vacation," she said as she tucked her feet underneath her legs. "I'm so relaxed right now."

"The wine helps," I said.

Grace and Nolan started yawning, so I told them they had five minutes to get in their pajamas and brush their teeth, then I'd read and sing to them. They took off running.

"I've loved spending time with them," Joanna said as she nodded towards the direction they'd gone. "They are such good children."

"Not always, but yeah, mostly they are pretty great," I agreed.

Once the five minutes were up, I went upstairs for the bedtime routine. When I came back down, Joanna had another bottle of red open and had refilled our glasses.

"Do you mind? I kind of need this tonight," she said. "Let's get drunk and tell each other all our secrets."

I laughed. "I think you know mine."