Chakalaka is a South African vegetable relish, usually spicy, that is traditionally served with bread, pap, samp, stews, or curries.
Recipe Cook Time: 35 mins, preparation time: 20 mins.
1) 3 tablespoons oil.
2) 1 onion, finely chopped.
3) 2 green bird's-eye chillies (Thai chillies), seeded and chopped.
4) 2 cloves garlic, crushed.
5) 50 grams ginger, finely grated.
6) 2 tablespoons mild curry powder.
7) 1 cup green/ yellow/ red bell pepper, finely chopped.
8) 5 large carrots, peeled and grated.
9) 400 grams chopped tomatoes.
10) 2 tablespoons tomato paste.
11) 400 grams canned baked beans.
12) Fresh thyme (for seasoning).
13) Salt and freshly ground black pepper (for seasoning).
1) Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onions until soft and translucent.
2) Add the chiles, garlic, half of the ginger and curry powder and stir.
4) Add the bell peppers and cook for a few minutes.
5) Add the carrots and stir to make sure they are well combined with other ingredients.
6) Add in the tomatoes and tomato paste and stir.
7) Cook until slightly thickened.
8) Remove from the heat and add the baked beans, thyme and remaining ginger and stir to combine; season with salt and pepper.
Serve hot or cold.
YOU ARE READING
DIFFERENT CULTURE DIFFERENT FOODNon-Fiction
Where would you like to go today? To the Gwangjang Market of Seol (Korea) and try the famous savory pancake Bindaetteok? Cape town mayhaps (South Africa)? I've heard that their street food is to die for. Or maybe to the Andhra style restaurants of...