52

Several Days Later

We arrived back a few days later in the early hours of the morning. Tahli was anxious to catch up upon my arrival.

"I'm actually kind of surprised that you're still alive." She said as we walked between Doron and Ragon.

"I hate to say it, but I actually didn't expect to live through it either." I replied.

"Why would you go then?"

"Honestly, I couldn't tell you what I was thinking. I'm glad I did though." I said.

"Glad? Why? Did he tell you something you weren't expecting?" She asked.

"He proved what I already suspected. He's terrified. He knows that we can beat him, and he was hoping to scare me into submission again, but it didn't take him long to realize that wasn't going to happen." I said.

Just then, Doron woke from his sleep, and lowered his head to me as I reached out to pet him.

"You were worried about me, weren't you." I said as I stroked his jaw.

He purred and rested his head on the ground as Ragon came to his side and pressed his slightly smaller head up again Dorons side.

"Jess... After that last fight, I'm almost positive that if we stay here, we'll get ambushed. we can't stay here. We're to close. We've gotta get out of here, and stay gone for a while. Make them think we've given up. Then we might have another chance." Tahli said as she put her hand on my shoulder.

"The king said that he'd already killed one dragon, and that it would be pointless to get the other two killed. I'm starting to think he might have been right." I said.

"It's your call. These are your men, and your dragons." Tahli said.

"I know what i'm doing with my army and my dragon, but Ragon is yours to ride. You may take him and do as you wish." I said.

She half grinned and gave me a hug.

"If you take your dragon back to fight for our freedom, I'll do the same. I'm with you all the way. Your sister and her dragon died for a noble cause, their deaths will only strengthen our motivation." Tahli said.

I whipped away a tear as Doron nudged me, knocking me over.

"What are you doing you over grown bat?" I said in a childish voice.

Both dragons seemed to be bothered by something, just as the had been bothered by the volcano so many times before.

"What is with you and that volcano? How do you even know your egg was laid there?" I asked him as if i expected an answer.

"Jess, what are we doing? Are we going? Or are we going to stay and fight?" Tahli asked.

"We're leaving this place. We have no reason to stay. We do as you suggested. We leave and appear defeated for a while, then, when they least expect it, we attack. And this time, we fight to the last dragon." I said.

Tahli said nothing for a moment.

"Well... Okay then. I guess we should wake everyone then." Tahli said.

I nodded, turned and signaled Doron to fly over head and wake the sleeping army. Tahli did the same and Ragon took off behind Doron. They flew over head, hissing and screeching repeatedly as men started to wake and ready themselves for travel. After several minutes of wake up calls, Doron and Ragon landed, Ragon yawning as Doron dropped his head to the ground.

"Come on. Lets get out of here." I said. 

I walked to Dorons side as he rested.

"Hey! We've got to go. Wake up." I said playfully.

Dorons eyes snapped open as he propped his head up and spread his wing across the ground. I mounted his back and gave the command to take off. He, along with with Ragon, leaped  into the air over head as the men on the ground mounted their horses and began following.

"Now.. Where should we go?" I said to Doron.