34.

"A pride parade?" Henry asked. "Yep!" John said enthusiastically. "I know your still getting used to the whole gay thing so you don't have to come, but I thought you could learn some stuff there." John rambled.

"No, we can go. Right, Eleanor?" Eleanor shook her head. "I was going to have a girl day with Rachel today," She said, looking at Rachel.

"Oh, In glad you're getting along!" Alex exclaimed. John nodded. "Yeah, you two have your girl day! I can go with dad, Alex, Phillip, and Patsy!" John said.

"I have work, babe," Alex reminded. John instantly deflated. "Aw. Oh, well. I still have Patsy, Phillip, Dad, and the Schuyler's!"

"Dad, I thought Patsy was visiting someone?" Phillip said. John groaned.

"Is there any one else not able to go to pride with me?" John whined. Everyone shook their heads. "Okay, good! Phillip, Dad, this is important. Your first pride event! Let's go get you guys dressed!"

Xx

Two hours later, the three men were all dressed up. Phillip wore a white shirt with a rainbow dripping down it with black jeans, three rings that made the pan flag, and a wacth, Henry just wore a black shirt with a rainbow on it, while John went all out. He wore a gray tank top with 'gay AF' printed on it, a rainbow bead necklace, he even painted pride flags on his cheeks. They were ready.

"Is everyone ready to go?" John asked his family. Henry nodded and Phillip excitedly jumped around. "Yes! Definitely!" He said. John pumped his fists into the air. "Alright! Let's get going! Phillip, you got the bag?"

"Yep." Phillip nodded. They all piled out the door, saying goodbye to the remaining family members and getting in the car.

"Okay, rules for pride. One, no leaving me or one of the Schuyler's. If you do, make sure to call us so we know where you are. Second, don't take any open drinks. Just because people are gay doesn't mean they're not assholes," "John!" Henry shouted.

"What? It's true. Anyway, don't forget to have fun! It's your first pride, dance, make friends!" John advised.

"Theo just texted! She said she'll be there."

"Nice. You can go off with her if you want, just be sure to call me," Phillip nodded. The rest of the car ride was gay jokes and emo music, John trying to pump up everyone. And Henry was actually excited.

Xx

"Finally! You guys took forever," Peggy said to the group of men as they got out of the car. "Sorry, trafic. Oh, nice shirt!" John complimented. Peggy was wearing a gray shirt that said "Voilets are blue, rose's are red, I'm Ace as heck so let's cuddle".

"Oh, thanks! Eliza is wearing a pan shirt and Angelica a polysexual one," She stated, motioning for the group to follow her.

"What's ace and what's polysexual?" Henry whispered into John's ear.

"Ace means you don't feel sexual attraction and polysexual means you only like a couple genders," Henry nodded, but he still didn't quite get it. Eliza and Angie came up and fell into pace with them, and they started to plan.

"Okay, me and Angie are in the parade so we have to walk along with it, you guys can just watch. It'll be fun!" Eliza said energetically.

"I'm guessing John told you the rules?" Angie said to Henry, raising her eyebrow.

"Yeah, he did." Henry said.

"I just want you to know, you shouldn't feel intimidated here. This place is about acceptance. I'm sure you could find another dad just like you here," Angie told the man. Henry nodded, feeling a bit more confident.

Eliza checked her wacth, jumping when she saw the time. She grabbed her older sister's arm, pulling her away from the group. "We're five minutes late! Janis is gonna kill us!" Eliza frantically said. She pulled he4 sister along as they waved goodbye, then sprinted off into the distance.

"Hopefully they don't die." Peggy said nonchalantly, staring at her phone. "Oh, well. Anyway, I want gay stuff! Dad, let's go get gay stuff!" John begged.

"Oh, Theo's here!" Phillip said, interrupting his dad. Sure enough, there was a young girl running up to the group, her curly dark hair bouncing on her back. "Phillip! We have to go see the artists! I heard they're great this year!" Theo exclaimed, showing Phillip photos of the artists while jumping up and down.

"Okay, let's go!"

"Not so fast!" John said, grabbing onto the back of the young boy's shirt. "Do you have your phone?"

"Yes, dad," Phillip said, waving his smartphone in front of him.

"What about your wallet?"

"Dad, we're fine!" Phillip whined. John chuckled. "Okay, go have fun," The kids instantly took off. "Call me by one!" John shouted after them.

"Now, let's go shopping!" John said, pulling his dad along. Peggy strolled along behind them, giving people high fives as they passed. When they got to a person selling merch, John immeaditly got out his wallet.

"Oh, how much is that?" John questioned, pointing to a rainbow pin. "Oh, it's five dollars!" The lady cheerfully said. "I made the design myself," She added quietly.

"That's it, I'm buying it." John proclaimed, forcefully handing the lady ten dollars. He snatched the pin and clipped it to his shirt, beaming. "Thanks!" He chirped. The curly haired man walked away with Peggy as Henry stayed with the woman.

"Hi, um, my son is gay," The lady snorted. "Yeah, I think I got that." Henry forced a laugh.

"Yeah, um. He invited me to this festival because he wanted me to get used to him being gay. You see, I wasn't that, uh, thrilled to find out he was gay," Henry explained. He shifted from leg to leg, his eyes darting around the perimeter.

"Do you want advise on how to be an ally?" The seller asked blatantly. Henry nodded. "Okay, so you want to try to get used to the community. Know that this place is safe for everyone. You also want to educate yourself. Look things up online, y'know?" Henry nodded slowly.

"Thanks. What's your name?"

"Marley." She said, whipping some hair out of her face. Henry thanked her again before leaving.

The parade went smoothly for the rest of the day, Philip and Theo running around getting free flags and quoting vines. "I don't understand children," Henry had said before John joined in. At 6 o' clock, they all piled into the car, happy and tired, ready to go home with newfound pride.

I have emerged from the depths of hell. What the fuck is wrong with me. I haven't updated this book in months, let alone touched it. I'm a fucking mess. Tbh it's probably the trauma. So I decided to read through some of this book and felt inspired to write something and I half assed the ending but it's something. I am so fucking sorry for not updating this, I'd make an excuse because I have one but that makes me sound like an asshole. I'm so sorry. I'll probably write another chapter tonight. I love you guys so much. -Ari