sam has a secret

a/n:::
before anyone gets all upset with me,,, i'm writing this as if sam and kat weren't dating!!! i love kat so much and her and sam are my goals so don't come for me!!! kk thanks lol

••••

"colby?" i whisper, turning to face him.

all he does is groan back, still tired.

"does sam hate me?" i question.

he opens his eyes to look at me. "what makes you say that?" he asks in a confused tone.

"he never talks to me anymore. we used to be best friends. he ignores me when i try to talk to him. whenever i walk into the room, he walks out."

"i'm sure it's nothing babe. go back to sleep"

"no."

"then go talk to him about it. but be quiet, i'm trying to sleep. it's too early for this." colby mumbles as he gets back into his sleeping position.

i walk over to sams room. i don't bother changing, it's just sam. i'm wearing pajama shorts and one of colby's sweatshirts. i look like a mess, but i don't care.

i knock three times.

"come in" i hear through the door.

"hey sam." i smile.

"oh, hi y/n" he mumbles, his expression changing.

"can we talk?"

"i guess"

"sam, why do you hate me?"

"i'm not doing this now." he groaned.

"sam, plea-" i start as he cuts me off.

"ask your boyfriend" he remarked, walking out of the room.

i walk back to colby's room, defeated. i see colby still sleeping. i sit on the bed next to him, playing with his hair.

"y/n, go to bed. please. it's too early." he grumbled.

"i need to talk to you" i whine.

"fine." he says, sitting up, rubbing his eyes.

"so i went to talk to sam. he told me to ask you why he hates me."

"why would i know? if i knew you would know"

"maybe we both should go talk to him"

we both get out of bed as colby throws on his shirt. we walk down the stairs to see sam sitting on the couch, editing.

"hey sam" colby starts.

sam looks up, smiles at colby, but once he sees me, his expression changes. "oh, hi"

colby and i sit on the opposite side of the couch. i let colby lead the conversation, since sam obviously won't tell me.

"so, sam, why do you hate y/n?"

"this again? really? colby you should know." sam scoffs.

"if i knew, why would i be asking you? please, sam, we're best friends dude. we tell each other everything."

"not everything" sam whispers under his breath.

"what?"

"you know what, i don't care at this point. here goes: y/n, three years ago, when we all moved here, i fell in love with you. you were my best friend. and i couldn't take how much i loved you. being around you was my favorite thing, and i was sad when i wasn't with you. my body physically longed to have you. and then you broke my heart. because while i fell for you, you fell for him. my best friend and the girl i was in love with. just my luck." sam explained, tears flooding his eyes.

colby and i sat in shock for a minute.

"you know what colby, i even told you that i had a crush on y/n. of course, i didn't tell you just how in love with her i was, but you still knew i had feelings for her. and when you started dating her, it shattered my heart. i was broken. i never have loved someone as much as i love her. i love her so much that it causes me pain to see you two together. that's why i'm so short with you y/n. just looking at you makes me feel things i don't want to feel. so, i don't want your pity, i don't want any apologies, because it's not going to change anything. because i'll still be in love with a girl i can't have." sam finishes, getting up from the couch.

i look to colby, seeing tears in his eyes. i start to cry also.

"sam," i get up off the couch, going after him.

"go away" he growls, his voice cracking as tears fall. "i've spent too many nights crying myself to sleep over you to hear your fake sympathy."

i grab his arm and turn him to face me. i pull him into me, hugging him as he sobs into my shoulder.

"sam, i know you don't want to hear this, but i'm so sorry. you are such a great person, inside and out. and i know someday you will find someone who is meant for you. you may think that i'm meant to be with you, but you just haven't met your other half yet. i promise. i miss you sam. you were my best friend. i miss us." i cry into his shoulder.

colby comes over and embraces us both, as we stand in the kitchen in a group hug, all of us with tears running down our faces.

after a few minutes, we unlatch from each other. sam looks up at me.

"can we please just be okay?" he uttered.

"of course sam" i say, embracing him in another, shorter, hug.

"woah, what did i come down to?" a new voice asks as we all turn to the stairs, seeing corey standing there, confused.

we all start laughing, tears still falling. we decide to sit on the couch and watch some tv, laughing together as the jokes come on.

just like old times.