Chapter 11 (Unedited)

Start from the beginning

"Didn't you say that when the other two arrived you'd be able to make a decision about whether I could turn my camera back on? I'm not that comfortable with only hearing, voices, especially because its been a while since I heard either of my team members say anything. For all I know, you guys could have taken them out, and be pretending that everything is fine." Tony's voice was rising again, and was almost back at the level that it had been before Natasha and Percy had been able to calm him down.

"I'm fine Tony," I stated, doing my best to keep a level tone, not wanting to worry him any more than he already was. "And so am I Tony," Natasha continued. "I'm offended that you don't think that we can take care of ourselves." Our words had an immediate effect on Tony, as we heard his breathing slow through the speaker, and his next words were far less frantic. "Is it safe for me to turn on my camera or not?"

"ANNABETH," Percy yelled out of the door, "CAN WE TURN THE CAMERA BACK ON". After about 30 seconds of no response, Percy shrugged. "If there was any immediate problem she'd have stormed in here or said no so feel free to turn it back on. It won't affect Steve or Natasha too much even if there are problems, because the house is protected by wards and they'll be leaving the same way that, it might just put Annabeth and I in a bit of a dangerous situation when we leave." There was another period of silence, before Tony let out a quiet noise.

"Okay, I have the camera back on, though I don't have audio without the earpieces, so if we can leave the phone lines open that'd be much appreciated." Tony's voice had a remarkable polite tone, which I had initially assumed had sparked from being scared, but had stayed from the teens' easy going attitudes. It was at that moment that Annabeth walked in the door, and involuntarily I let out a shocked gasp. Whilst Will had a shallow gash on his cheek and a dark bruise forming on his arm, Annabeth's injuries were far worse. Her jeans were torn around the knee, where I could easily see deep scratch marks. She too was sporting several minor cuts and grazes over her arms, but it was the limp she walked with that was most worrying. 

Immediately Percy held out the mostly full canteen to Annabeth, who gladly took it, before pulling her onto the chair next to him. "Will if you chuck me some bandages I can cover up this, whilst one of you does the explaining. I'm sure I left a knee brace and a pair of crutches here a couple of months ago, so we'll be fine without Ambrosia, but neither of us can afford to get an infection right now." A knee brace, and a set of crutches? That made it sound like they were injured a lot, were these monsters always attacking them? Trying to focus again, I tuned into what Will was saying. I knew that this could be the only chance I would have for a long time to get an explanation for the days events.

"- the monsters that you saw today are called empousa and they use something called the Mist to disguise themselves. That's why Tony and whoever else was watching through the cameras saw a beautiful woman, whereas in reality their hair is fire, they have talons, and have one bronze prosthetic leg, and one donkey leg. Percy removed the mist from Natasha and Steve, but because he didn't know that there were people watching through a camera he could remove it from them. Unfortunately the Mist will probably be back soon, as its not any of our strengths. Nico is slightly better than us at removing because of his ... specific abilities, but if we need it to be removed in the long term, we would need to contact Hazel. What we've done will probably last about a day or two."

Tony interrupted Will, quite obviously curious about why he had stuttered on the word abilities. "What do you mean by abilities, and why would Nico have an advantage? Also who is Hazel?" I saw the four of them exchange a look, before Annabeth took over the explanation, her newly bandaged leg resting on Percy's lap. She toyed with her hair for a second, before slipping her hand into Percy's and giving him a reassuring squeeze.

"We can't tell you everything quite yet, because we don't know anything about you. You could endanger not only us, but also all of our friends and family, so forgive us for being a little vague." Annabeth sounded very matter of fact about what she was saying, not in the least apologetic for her ambiguous statement. "What we can say, is that all of us have inherited powers or abilities from family, that make us different to your average teen. These powers however come with a certain signal, that attract monsters. Things like using or being around technology, or when there are large groups of dem ... us acts as stronger signals to monsters. You've already met Empousa, and there are hundreds of other monsters that we encounter regularly, and some not so regularly. In an attempt to prepare us for constant attack, our families set up a camp - of sorts - where we can learn to defend ourselves, and stay if our home situations aren't great. I stayed all year round at camp from the age of 7 till pretty recently, and I met Percy when he first arrived when he was twelve. Will and Nico have also been there for several years, both all year round pretty much. And Hazel is Nico's half sister - her abilities tie in with Mist, which gives her more power over it than most."