Chapter 6

((Alright. This chapter was a struggle to write. But it turned out okay, I think. I kinda edited this, and if there's anything... idk, incorrect about this chapter just excuse it lol. (D/n) means dragon name, in case you didn't know.))

The next morning you wake up early and run down the stairs. Hiccup is still asleep in a dining room chair, his face down on the table. His auburn hair covers his eyes and his mouth is slightly open. You walk over to him and shake his shoulder. He groans and pushes you away, turning his head the other way. "Fine." You grumble. You grab a pitcher of water that sits on the counter and you dump it on Hiccup's head.

He jumps up and falls out of the chair, falling in front of you. "Rise and shine, sleepyhead." You laugh.

"Very funny." He grumbles. He stands up and glares at you before flicking the water at your face.

Still laughing you wipe your face and then take his hand. "Come on, let's go get my dragon!"

"Alright, alright." He says. You drag him out the door and he calls for Toothless. Toothless trudges over to you and yawns. Hiccup attaches his saddle and climbs up, pulling you up behind him. He takes off towards the Dragon Academy.

~

"See one you like?" Hiccup says, gesturing around the arena. Dragons of all species stand in cages, growling and scratching at the stone walls.

"Uh... these dragons are kinda..." You say nervously.

"Well the reason we have this is to train dragons. These dragons haven't been trained yet. All you have to do is choose one and train it."

"Oh." You walk around the arena until you find a lone dragon, sitting alone in front of the bars. It growls softly, eyes on you. Hiccup walks up behind you.

"It's a Deadly Nadder." He says. ((AN:// If you'd like to change the species, feel free. I found this easier for myself.)) The Deadly Nadder is a light purple with big yellow green eyes. The scales are a faded green/brown color and it's smaller than the others.

"I think... I think I want that one." You say.

"Alright." Hiccup says, walking over to a switch. "Ready?"

"Ready? Ready for what?"

"Training!" He pulls the switch and the gate opens.

"B-but I don't know what to do!" You exclaim, stepping back as the dragon walks out, glaring at you.

"Think of all the books we read; you've got this!" Hiccup says.

You weren't so sure. The dragon slowly makes its way towards your trembling body, towering over you. You slowly reach your hand out towards her and she roars, making you jump back. She snaps her teeth towards you and you run, looking behind you at the dragon. "___!" Hiccup screams. You trip and hit another switch, pausing when you hear a cranking noise.

Four dragons- Monstrous Nightmares and Terrible Terrors and Gronkles- come running towards you. "___!" Hiccup screams again, and out of the corner of your eye you see him running towards you. You back up until you're against a wall and close your eyes.

Nothing happens-- then there's a loud roar, so loud you have to resist the urge to cover your ears. You open your eyes and see the Deadly Nadder standing in front of you, snapping and roaring at the four dragons. Hiccup stands off to the side, frozen as he watches the dragon save your life. The dragons back up into the cage and you run to pull the switch back before turning to the Deadly Nadder.

She makes a purring noise and edges closer to you.

"Thanks, girl." You whisper, taking a step closer and placing your hand between her eyes. She closes them and nudges against you. You smile. "(D/n). That's what I'll call you."

"Wow." Hiccup says. You look over and see him and Toothless walking towards you. "She protected you without even... that's... amazing." He smiles at you and you blush.

"It was... weird. I was so sure I was going to die." You smile.

"I did too. So let's not try anything like that again." He says.

"No promises." You shrug.

"Well. Let's start training."