SEVEN : Drunk Man's Tales

Mirth danced in his eyes and tugged on his lips "Nice paint job." Brady said his cutting blue gaze flipping from my black-painted nails to my eyes. 

Quietly I cursed Dani for talking me into the bully magnet activity of agreeing to let her paint them in the first place. I strode toward him in a fury of irritation, he was hanging onto my window struggling to climb through the small opening-stealthily.

"What are you doing here?" I seethed as I neared trying my very best not to be overridden by his scent.

He fell on my floor with a thud and groaned but didn't answer. Not at first at least, when he answered it was with a question. "Do you ever think about the gods? The universe and all the other things of the celestial unknown?"

"I don't know Brady or know why you care to hear that from me. I'm not your friend, you're not even nice to me, so if you could please spare me and leave the same way you barged in here. That'd be great."

"What do you mean? I'm plenty nice to you, or didn't you get my texts?" he paused. "Or is this about last week at the club?"

I felt triggered but I refused to let it show, "No. Last week was nothing actually. You've treated me worse and have left me to be treated worse than that by your own friends and adoring fans. So if you could please just go."

He closed his eyes with a contemplative look on his broody face. He didn't look like he was going anywhere so I asked again. "What do you want, what are you doing climbing through my window."

"I called you but you didn't pick up."

"I'm sorry should I have?"

He opened his eyes and they met mine, with an arresting quality to his blue gaze, that made me tremble a little. Everything about how he was looking at me manifested how he was the very pinnacle of a blue-blooded alpha. Tall, dominant, and built like a young reckless god with a look that made other people want to drop down and bare their necks in submission to his heritage. Yet only made me and wolf want to combust with defiance and be kissed by him at the same time. 

"Yes." he said, "When your Alpha calls you show your respect by picking up or replying."

"Brady save that move for a time you're really gonna need it because right now. You're not my Alpha. In fact, you're no one's Alpha, you're just the Alpha's son." I explained to him in the same tone I explained basic science to kids at the tutoring centre.

"Ok, then if not then because we're friends. You even told my sister that." 

I snorted with disbelief, hands flailing, "I had to lie and you know it. I'm not your friend or Tyler and them boys or Amanda, Olivia or any of those other girls you infamously string along."

He smiled, "You sound jealous."

"Please get out of my room," I instructed.

Instead of leaving he got comfortable on the floor and gave a statement dribbled with question. "I didn't see you at Greg's party."

I rolled my eyes, surely he didn't expect me to answer right?

"His mate found him that Friday at the club, it was announced at the last pack meeting. I know you were there, I remember smelling you before I even saw your face." He said pulling himself up. A waft of alcohol lifted off his breath and for some inexplicable reason seeing what looked like sadness in his red-rimmed eyes brought me to pity him. At the same time, a wave of satisfaction washed my senses, even as my blood boiled with unexpressed rage over his sentence.

"Why should I care, he's not my friend." I shrugged as if I didn't care.

"He's your Beta you should care," he lay back on the floor facing the ceiling with closed eyes "Care that your Beta has a mate especially when your Alpha doesn't have one yet, it's good for the pack."