Ebony

Ivory adjusted her scarf, pulling it closer to her neck. The clinking of her high heeled boots was mixed with the hard blowing wind, almost making a beat as she walked across campus.

The walk from the library used to be relaxing,but now it was just a pain in the butt. Ivory was grateful she hadn't caught a cold from walking in the brisk weather everyday. The weather was taking a toll on everyone and everything.

The large oak tree that always held vibrant leaves and small animals was now bare and showed no life. The once dark green grass was more of a dusty brown color and every remaining leaf crumbled easily.

Ivory sent a quick, silent prayer that the weather would not get worst. She absolutely despised the cold and couldn't stand to see snow.

Ivory let out a sigh of relief once she saw the west wing girl's dormitory coming into view. She walked faster and pulled the large door open.

The little bell at the door signaled someone had walked in, Ivory. A group of boys were standing at the front desk and they all turned to look at her.

Ivory always hated walking past a group of guys. She could feel their eyes giving unappealing looks and she knew they weren't thinking anything better.

Ivory put her head down and tried to walk past them and get to her night of studying, but the girl at the front desk called her before she could get far.

"Hey Ivory! Come here for a sec", Gina called.

Ivory closed her eyes and opened them slowly, letting out a deep breath she didn't know she was holding. She turned back around and walked towards the group, hearing snickers and comments as she got closer.

"I see you got a new do", Gina said while smirking.

Ivory instinctively ran her hand through her black and dark blue faux locs. She wanted to show the world she didn't want to hide anymore. Ivory was tired of hanging her head low, but she did it anyways, even with her new daring look.

"What possessed you to die your hair that bright ass color? Dark girls are supposed to get dark colors. Did you not get the memo b?", one boy blurted.

He was at least 6'1 with a low fade and brown eyes that had a flick of green in them.He had muscular arms and it was obvious that he played a sport- most likely football. His skin was caramel in contrast to her chocolate skin. His friends laughed, along with Gina.

Ivory looked down before laughing. She found his ignorance funny seeing that he was obviously black too. An unknown confidence rose inside of her.

"What possessed you to wear that '03 Polo?", Ivory asked while looking up. His face got red and she could tell he was getting angry.

"Whatever you black ass bitch", he spat as his friends laughter quickly died down

"Wow is that the best you can come up with? Did you forget that you're black too or....? And by the way, dark girls don't have to stick to dark colors. We can easily rock bright shit b", Ivory responded with both confidence and annoyance.

"Damn, she told you ", Ace said to Safari.

Safari shook his head and watched the girl walk away.

"Aye what's her name?", Safari asked Gina.

"Ivory", she replied in a bland tone before directing her attention back to the lustful boys spitting game.

His friends continued to flirt with Gina, dismissing the previous events.

"Ivory", Safari whispered to himself as he saw she was no longer in view.

Ivory opened her door and let out a sigh. She had a roommate, but she was never there and Ivory preferred to be alone anyways. She didn't have many friends here seeing that she left everyone she loved in London 2 years ago.

Her parents were Nigerian, but they were both born and brought up in California. They moved to London when Ivory was ten and she loved it there. She quickly made good friends and before she knew it, she was graduating high school.

Although she loved the UK, she wanted to venture out and go to school elsewhere so she picked the US, Michigan to be exact. She was majoring in business and was doing her second year of schooling.

She kept to herself and she only had 1 friend. Her name was Ashley and she lived in the dorm down the hall. They both shared common interests and clicked instantly.

They would often have conversations about the ignorance the world held towards girls of a darker skin tone. Ivory just wanted to open everyone's eyes and show them the big picture.

Black girls are queens, whether they have a king or not.