Chapter Twenty-Five - An Alpha's Distrust

Start from the beginning

It was late. We had all met right after dinner that night because it was the first time Adam or Jace would have been able to meet due to the meetings they'd been in all day. Liu and I had managed to keep the flowers under wraps throughout the day, only telling Jace and Adam that evening.

Dinner was awkward. I avoided Diedrick like a disease and I was wary of everyone. I knew the possibility was great that I was standing in close quarters with the person who had put the tulips in Adam's room. I also knew it was a possibility that I was sleeping under the same roof as the person who likely had my house set on fire and who knew where my parents were.

It was weird to think that the two instances could be connected. It was even more horrifying, however, that the thing connecting the two instances was me and seven red tulips.

I didn't know of anyone in that castle that cared so little for me to go through the trouble of setting my house on fire, planting seven tulips in the mulch, and then putting tulips in Adam's room to scare me.

It was seemingly pointless, but it sent chills down my spine nonetheless.

Adam and I left Liu and Jace in the conference room and went back up to his bedroom. Once there, I watched him as he took the vase of tulips, opened the balcony doors, and threw them off the side of the ledge.

I was halfway thankful for this act of recklessness because it meant I didn't have to look at them any longer.

Walking into the bathroom, I shut the door behind me and sighed.

I walked over to the bathtub and turned on the hot water. Stripping out of my dress, I sat down in the bath and sighed. As the tub was filling up, I poured in the bubble bath and laid back to relax.

I could feel my body slowly beginning to settle down, but my head was still spinning and turning over the situation. I was so overwhelmed that when I started to cry, I wasn't in the least bit surprised by the tears. I just held my hand over my mouth, trying to be quiet. The last thing I wanted was for Adam to hear me and try to come in.

I didn't want to be comforted or to be told 'everything was going to be fine.' I wasn't an idiot, I knew everything wasn't fine.

I wanted to find my family and to be left alone by whoever was trying to mess with me. I wanted to fall in love with Adam like a normal person and not have to worry about the drama that surrounded me.

I sat in the bath until the water turned cold and my tears had dried up.

It wouldn't have surprised me to walk out of the bathroom and see Adam in the bed already asleep. It was past midnight and we were both mentally drained. However, when I came out of the bathroom, Adam was sitting on the couch, staring off into space.

When he heard me, he looked over and gave me tired smile.

"Feeling better?" he asked me.

I nodded and walked over to the wardrobe to get out something to sleep in. I changed and put the towel back into the bathroom as Adam walked in behind me and started the shower.

Undoing the bed, I slid underneath the covers and closed my eyes.

A few minutes later, Adam came out of the bathroom.