chapter twenty-three

"Sawyer?"

"Sawyer, are you alright?"

The voices sounded like knives stabbing Sawyer's brain. He couldn't function, he couldn't speak, he couldn't move. Memories of his sister flooded into his brain...

***

3 years earlier

Tessa and Sawyer were watching Sawyer's favorite TV show when someone began banging on their front door. Mrs. Mcminn- who had been crying- quickly opened the door and nodded towards Tessa and Sawyer. A man in a white suit walked into their home and smiled at Sawyer.

"Can I talk to your sister?" He asks Sawyer. Sawyer glanced at Tessa and she nodded. She knew what was about to happen. Her sudden outbursts of rage, and her mean manners, had finally gotten their revenge.

The man looked at Tessa after Sawyer had ran off to his mother, she cradled him in her arms.

"Do you know why I'm here?" The man asks Tessa in a soft manner.

"You're here to take me away." Tessa mumbles

"I am, but only temporarily. You'll see your family again I promise. Come with me." The man says and Tessa stands up willingly. She was cooperating well until she saw her brother looking at her with a confused glance. She smiled at him and suddenly pulled her arm away from the man and ran towards Sawyer.

"Be safe. I love you." Tessa smiled and kissed Sawyer's forehead. The man grabbed her once again. She screamed and fought against him. She didn't want to go, she didn't want to leave Sawyer.

Tessa was fifteen at the time and Sawyer was twelve but they both remembered it like it was yesterday.

***

Present Day

"SawZaw. Are you okay?" Zachary's voice became clear at last.

"I-I don't know." Sawyer says then looms over at Sheriff Rogers. "How'd she die?"

"Kid that's a little too disturbing for you." Sheriff Rogers says

"I just want to know how my sister died!" Sawyer says louder.

Sheriff Rogers sighed. "She was stabbed many times, then ran over."

"Her car. Where's her car?" Sawyer asks

"We don't know." Sheriff Rogers says

"That's because the murders aren't over and I think Andy's next." Jacelyn states, bathing into the conversation.

"What do you mean?" Sheriff Rogers asks her.

"Our friend Andy Attkins was kidnapped. We went to help him and saw Tessa's car drive off. He's in the trunk of her car." Jacelyn says

"Where'd you see her vehicle?" Sheriff Rogers asks

"The school. Andy calls me occasionally and tells me what's happening." Jacelyn says

"Next time he calls notify me immediately." Sheriff Rogers says right when someone knocks on the door hurriedly.

"I'll get it." Zachary says and walks towards the door. He opens it slowly and saw a worried Pheobe Martin. She didn't even give Zachary time to speak before she tackled him in a hug.

"I-I saw the news and it said a teenager had been murdered and I saw the cop car here and I thought something had happened to you because you weren't answering any of my texts." Pheobe says in one breath.

"I'm okay." Zachary says quietly and pulls Pheobe outside. "It was Sawyer's sister that was murdered."

"Oh my god. How's he holding up?" Pheobe asks

"He's in shock I think." Zachary says

"Have you heard from Lucy? We were supposed to hang out today and now I'm worried about her too." Pheobe says

"Wait, you can't reach Lucy?" Zachary asks. Pheobe shakes her head. Zachary digs out his phone and learns that it was dead. "Try to call her again."

Pheobe took out her phone and called Lucy. It took awhile but Lucy answered.

"Hey." She says. Zachary sighs in relief.

"I've been trying to reach you all day! I was getting worried." Pheobe says

"Sorry, I've been playing football with my brothers. My phone must've been on mute." Lucy says

"Okay, well have fun." Pheobe says halfheartedly and hangs up.

"Have you heard about Andy?" Zachary asks

"I have! It wasn't very surprising, most people do it but-"

"What?" Zachary cuts Pheobe off.

"What?" Phoebe asks.

"What are you talking about?" Zachary asks

"I'm talking about Andy telling us his full name. Andrew James Attkins." Phoebe says shrugging.

"That's not what I was talking about. Andy's been taken." Zachary says

"What?" Pheobe asks

"Andy was kidnapped." Zachary says

"Oh my god."