Chapter Four

My ears picked up the sound of my voice being called in the distant. My eyes fluttered open, and my body was no longer tied to a chair. I woke up on the cold, cement floor and suddenly all the memories flooded back. Unexpectly a burning sensation creeped into my back muscles. The pain was unbearable. I tried to prop myself up on my elbows, but I winced in pain unable to move. 

"Olivia?" Once again my name was being called. I scanned the location I was in and locked eyes with Damien. He stared at me for a moment, then spoke, "Olivia, are you okay?" I tested my strength again, and forced myself to sit up straight. Dizziness filled my head causing my vision to blur. 

I found my voice. "What happened? Where is Robert?" I noticed  Damien had a  dark ring around his left eye and his bottom lip was cut. He looked older and stressed. He lifted his hand up and brushed his thumb against my cheek and sighed. I knew what was about to exit his mouth would not be good.

"He's, uhm, dead." He looked away from me. I stared at him, shocked. Damien had killed someone. 

"H-how? What happened? T-tell me" My voice shaked with every word I spoke.  Damien stood up and ran his fingers through his curls, pacing back and forth.

 "I awoke to him smashing the bat against your shins. I kept quiet, even though I knew he wouldn't stop. I saw the knife in the corner of my eyes. I had to stop him or you'd be dead. I couldn't lose you. So, after I had a firm grip on the knife I snuck up behind him. I didn't understand why you didn't notice me then I realized he had just knocked you out so with all my might I.." he trailed off. I looked at him with wide pleading eyes.

" Go on." I  said softly. He was hesitant for a brief moment. 

"I stabbed him in the back, missing his neck. He instanly turned around and punched me in the eye. It hurt like hell, but I wasn't giving up. I gave him his own medicine and punched him back. The next thing I knew we were rolling on the floor going at it. The knife was knocked out of my hand. My life flashed before my eyes as he continued to smash my face with his fists. My arm was stretched out, reaching for the switchblade. Once I had a grip, I didn't heistate at all. I stabbed him in the neck puncturing his jugular vien." He looked down to his right. My eyes followed his and right there was Robert's stiff body surronded by a pool of deep red. I gasped and covered my eyes. 

"Y-you killed him!?" So many emotions swam through my veins. Anger, relief, depression, happiness, shock. I couldn't handle this anymore. What had I got myself into?

"I had to!" Damien rushed to my side, wrapping his arms around me as he pulled me into his chest. "You would have died." His voice cracked.

"What are we going to do now?" I glanced up at him hoping he had a plan.

"We have to get out of here, first and foremost." He let go of me and stood up, reaching out his hands towards me. I took his hand in mine as he heaved me onto my feet. He tip-toed over to the dead body, picked up the knife and went to a bare spot in the wall, feeling it with his hands.

"There is nothing there."  I explained. He shushed me and continued to feel the wall when suddenly an unhinging sound echoed. A hidden door propped open revealing a dark hallway behind it. Damien took my hand, whispered to me to be silent and lead me down the hallway holding the knife tightly in his other hand. The air was filled with the smell of mold and sadness. 

Up ahead I could hear more voices laced with thick Italian accents speaking to eachother, but what they were saying was inaudible. We silently shuffled up to the doorway. Damien slowly peered around the corner, but quickly snapped his head back. 

"Did you hear that?" an unseen man said. My heart stopped. We were dead meat.

"What are you talking about Vince? Are you hearing things again?" another invisible man replied.