(12)

The last day of training camp gave Hinata many things. Some of which included new phone numbers, promises of meeting up for coffee or video games, but most of all, anxiety. Home was not a place Hinata wanted to go back to, and it gave him great discomfort to go along with the others in saying how they missed their parents, or their house.
In all honesty, the only thing he missed were his friends from the woods. Before them, Hinata had thought that in order to become close to someone, you needed to hang out with them several times in person. But these friends taught him that all you really needed was one drunken night in the woods, and a cell phone.

Luckily, after the accident, Hinata's grandparents offered to help out with expenses by paying for Hinata's cell phone bill, and his tuition. They were old and lived very far away, so they were unable to attend the funeral of their middle child's wife and child. Hinata figured that things of this nature had happened a lot to his father growing up as when he was told his parents would not be attending the funeral, or even making the trip to visit and check in, he did not seem surprised or even upset. He simply nodded and walked away.

The bus ride home was long and tiring. This time, he had an unexpected passenger sit down next to him.
Tsukishima.
He tried to play it off as simply needed a seat since Yamaguchi already had a seat partner, but Hinata knew that it was really because of the dream.
Sure, it was nice of him to be concerned about Hinata, but to him it seemed strange and unnatural. It was weird how all of a sudden, Tsukishima cared about Hinata and was invested in his well being, especially when before training camp, he wouldn't give him the time of day.
"Hinata" Hinata took out his earbuds, and turned to face the taller blonde. Anxiety bubbling in his stomach, he prepared for the onslaught of endless questions.
"That night, what was your dream?" It was unexpected. The usual question was 'are you okay' and Hinata always knew how to answer it with perfect clarity. But this was different.
"What do you mean?"
"I mean, when I woke you up, you seemed very scared. And plus while you were sleeping...I don't know it was just different to how people react towards normal nightmares." He spoke with the same monotone, uncaring voice he always did, but Tsukishima's eyes showed his true emotions. Hinata knew exactly how to get out of this.
"Well, it wasn't really a dream. It seemed more real than that. I...I couldn't move...or breathe...or talk, it was...I don't know."
Every word out of Hinata's mouth was carefully calculated and assessed before it actually left his lips. All of it was to provoke his seat partner just enough.
Just enough to know that Hinata was still unnerved and to halt further questions.
Just enough to have Tsukishima realize that the orange haired fireball was confiding in him, and that he should keep this conversation private for now.
Just enough to make up for his strange behavior, scary dreams. It was the perfect fix to his problems. This way, the team would be blocked from the truth. After all, Hinata would not let his team become burdened with his mental and physical pain.
Plus...Hinata was pretty sure that his father would severely hurt whoever he told about the abuse. He did not want to endanger his friends.

In Hinata's brain, the physical pain he was experiencing was well worth keeping his friends and teammates.
All he had to do was survive.
It sounds easy enough, but as long as his father was still alive, Hinata would always be in the fight for his life.

Hi everyone! Short chapter today too, I know. I just really wanted to get this filler chapter out because I'm planning on writing a very intense chapter with lots of trigger warnings so please be prepared! (I will include all trigger warnings before so you all are more prepared for exactly what you're about to read) ❤️❤️