31. Thoughts That My Adar Would Frown Upon

Start from the beginning

She smiled at the look of my face, shook her head in amusement and hugged me from the side. She must found my overprotective instinct towards her to be odd. Yet I care not.

"You still have the coin I gave you?" Leane asked out of the blue. My eyes lit up at the mention of her precious gift to me.

"Aye," I replied as I produced the coin she gave me from my pocket. 

"I have mine too," she chirped, showing me the coin, identical to mine. "These items might not be magical, but have faith that wherever we go, as long as we still have the coins with us, it will bring us back together again."

I felt my heart melt at her words. I gave in to the instinct to kiss her temple and I stared at her. Her black strand of hair glowed under the moonlight; her face bathed in the pale light, her soft, plump pink lips alluring me when she spoke.

"Wasn't it proven already?" she asked, lifting her eyebrows lightly.

"Aye. We were reunited together again, but with you almost bleeding to death," I said, remembering the sight of her limp form on the battlefield. I was being serious, yet she found it amusing. Her laugh rang pleasantly on my ears like a tinkling bell. 

Then she leaned to me and kissed my cheek. A blush crept on my face and I silently thanked the Valar that it was dark. Yet she giggled as if knowing my thoughts.

"I promise the next time we meet, I will not bleed to death or dying. I will try to look pretty for you and very much alive," she promised, a hint of amusement lingered in her voice. "I heard there will be a feast once we arrive in Edoras. It's a great occasion to play dress up."

"You always are pretty and beautiful, melleth nin," I said as I brushed a strand of her soft, dark hair behind her ears. I fought the urge to kiss her senseless; her lips was just too distracting.

A smile that didn't reach her eyes graced her face and she let go of my arm, looking away. Her eyes were fixed on the stars above us but I could see as a daylight that her mind was somewhere else.

"What's bothering you, my love?" I asked her, unable to hold my curiosity.

"Nothing," she answered, shrugging her shoulders. 

A pang of disappointment passed me as she guarded herself from me.

"You lied," I stated bluntly, "You promised me that you will tell me if anything ever bothers you, do you remember?"

She looked hesitant for a moment before answering me with another question.

"You ever said that an ellon would court an elleth for some time before deciding to marry her, didn't you?" she said, finally turning her eyes at me.

I couldn't contain my smile. The fact that she had been thinking about marriage excited me. I wasn't alone at this. Knowing that she reciprocated my feelings was a bliss. She continued.

"Is it possible that during the uh, courtship... he change his mind along the way and court another elleth?"

The tone of doubt in her voice was registered first before the words itself. A lump formed in my throat and I felt my gut twisted uncomfortably inside my stomach. She blinked several times at my silence before I finally spoke.

"Why are you asking this? Are you having a second thought about us?" I asked, hurt sliced my heart at the thought of her leaving me.

Leane's eyes widened in horror before answering, as if in panic.

"What? No!" she exclaimed, shaking her head frantically. Her eyes widened. For a split second I thought about how cute her doe eyes looked before she explained.