Chapter 8: "Mother"

My mom? Why would she have news about my mom? She knew that I didn't care about her so why bring anything up? "what is it?" I said. "I know you don't really care, but she's in the hospital. She has cancer and only has 2 more days to live." Ahsinam said. I remained quiet and my hands were shaking but i didn't know why. "Winter, she found my number and told me that she wants to see you before she passes. I think you should see her." she said. "why would I care? She was anything but a mom or mother." I said. "you should forgive her. It's going to be hard, but you should try" she said. I sighed because I knew she was right. It would also make me happy to watch her suffer for once. "ok, I'll go. But, I have something to tell you." I said. "what?" she said. I couldn't believe I was doing this but we were friends after all and I was only trying to protect her and her baby. Luckily, I was outside of the apartment and in the corridor where Gunnar couldn't hear me. "I....I killed your father last night." I stuttered. There was silence over the phone for a few seconds. "well, I never knew him so, I won't cry, but I am upset that you killed another person!" she screamed and hung up the phone. I stared at the wall in front of me and was filled with mixed thoughts. I hated her for not appreciating how much I did to protect her, I hated myself for being an obsessed cold-blooded killer, and I hated my parents for making me this way. I closed my eyes and sighed, then went back into the apartment. "Hey, is everything alright?" Gunnar asked. "yea... Ummmm...no, not really. My mom has cancer and only has 2 days to live." I said sarcastically with a laugh. He looked up at me like I was crazy. Which I probably was. "Winter, that's terrible. Why are you laughing?" he said. I frowned because I knew he wouldn't understand. "can you take me to see her?" I asked. "yea, sure." he replied.

We arrived at the hospital where my "mother" was. I felt nervous and sick. All of the disturbing memories were flashing through my mind and I wanted to vomit. "do you want me to come inside with you?" Gunnar asked. I looked into his dashing eyes an couldn't resist. "yea" i replied. We went to the front desk to find out where the room was. "hi, I'm visiting Maria Enderson. Could you tell me which room she's in?" I asked the woman at the desk. "sure, just a moment while I look for her in the database and then I'll get both of you a name tag." she said as she typed on the computer. "ok, I'll take your picture now for the tag" she said. She snapped the camera and the picture instantly came up on the computer. "you know, you look very familiar. I feel like I've seen you before." she smiled. I smiled back but looked down. It's hard to hide from the world. "ok, here you guys go. Take the elevator up 3 and go to room 104." she said. We went up on the elevator and it was quiet between me and Gunnar. He was just staring at me but in a very mysterious, hot way. "Sooooo....when's the last time you talked to her?" he asked. I laughed and said "Never". We never really had a talk. She gave me orders and I did them. That was it. We finally reached the room. I took a deep breath and exhaled slowly before walking in.