The Test of Life or Death

Hey guys, thanks for reading, feel free to comment and vote. Please tell me if you have any ideas for what you would like to see happen, thanks.

******************************************************************************************************************

I ran through the fog covered forest at an alarming speed, instinctively ducking as a large ballisk shot flew over my head.

"They're getting better at their aim. Give them five more minutes and their heat sensors will be up and working again. " I commented to myself.

I sometimes wish that I could see my facial expression. Ducking under a tree branch while running at full speed is harder than it looks; at least in the triangle it is. The trees were huge. At least 50 feet around the thinnest trunks and soaring above the known sky. I pumped my legs faster. If I were to escape the ballisks, I was going to have to outrun them. I launched myself 5 feet into the air and kicked another dart out of the fog. I knew I wouldn't have enough time to get out of range of the ballisks. I had two options; climb a tree to get out of range of the ballisk darts, or destroy the ballisks power source. I chose the latter of the two. I wasn't trained for weakness. I started running toward the power source, which was to the east of the ballisks, but tripped on something and fell. I remember cursing under my breath before looking for what tripped me. It was a box; a large box. Being buried half way into the ground, it took me a while to dig it up. When I opened the box, a look of confusion crossed my face. I always knew that there were such things as power suits in the test, but it surprised me to find one buried under the ground. The suit was a burnt orange color and obviously an older one. It had a plasma sword on one arm and a blaster pistol on the other. It was formed out of metal, but felt like one was wearing cloth. I put it on and started running toward the ballisks. The suit carried me faster than I expected it to. It was built for speed and I was glad of that. It took me only about two minutes to reach the first ballisk. It wasn't working for three months after I destroyed it with my plasma sword. There were five ballisks and at close range they weren't that hard to destroy. I took the power suit off and stored it in a special place because it was all battered up from the plasma guns that were shooting at me. I took care of their owners with a ballisk shard. I didn't kill them, because that would have taken points away from the test. I practically could have skipped over to the power source except for one not so small problem; Farim. He was one of my friends when I wasn't testing, but now he was my enemy. His blaster was easily knocked out of his hand by my newfound weapon. Farim's power wasn't reflected in the weapon he wielded unless that weapon was one of the great trees. He grabbed me in his hands and started to strangle me. I kicked him in his only weakness. He dropped to his knees and let go of me. I grabbed my weapon again and hit him on the head three times before he blacked out. The power source needed to be destroyed because it made robots that ran the ballisks. The people were only there to keep the robots in check. The robots started running toward me. It was easy to destroy the first four or five, but without the power suit I was becoming weary. I was reaching into the depths of my mind for a plan; I didn't have to reach far. Some of the blasters were still in tact. I grabbed two of them and started shooting the robots; I learned all too soon that the blasters run out of ammo. I grabbed for another gun, but was cut off by a robot. It didn't stand a chance, because they weren't made to fight. Other robots started coming at me. I avoided them and went for the power source. The ballisk shard made a great spear; it flew straight into the core. The power source exploded, destroying most of the robots. There were still some left, but I grabbed a blaster and ruined them. My test was done.

I started walking back to the part of the triangle that I live in. The Triangle was split up into three different parts. The group of islands was once called the Bermuda Triangle, but that was almost five-hundred years ago according to the elders. People say that there was a group that didn't agree with the world power and so came to live here. Those people also say that fairies used to inhabit the island before people came; I believed in their first assumption. My part of the island was the trade center. People came form Europe, Asia, and Russia - though mostly Europe - came for the recourses we could offer. Our trees were the main export. I reached the combined part which is connected to all sections of the triangle. The cafeterias and the hall of elders were there.

I walked into the cafeteria and sat by Raul and Maddox. Usually people sat with their part of the triangle, but there were rebellious groups. We were the smallest by far. The second smallest were Thor's group. They had 8 people in theirs. The largest groups often fought each other for table seats. My group of three mostly stayed out of the way. If we were provoked though, the cafeteria of roughly 1,000,000 people could get a little out of hand. There were watchmen there, but they stayed out of the way if a bigger group got involved in a fight. I spied a girl that Maddox was flirting with, and decided it was a good day for a skirmish. The group that the girl was in wasn't a large group, but definitely not a small one. I counted 53 people in it. The flirting soon became enough, and so I pushed Maddox toward the lady. He knew what I was doing, and balled up his fists before walking coolly over to the group. All eyes were watching him except Raul who was shaking with laughter. I looked close and saw that he also was tense. He knew what was coming too. I glanced a quick glare in his direction before standing up. I'm almost 6 feet, which is a little above average for my part of the triangle. Raul, on the other hand, is 7'5" and is considered average. His part of the triangle, nicknamed swamp, is self explanatory. It's the same with all if the parts of the triangle. The names explain what geography there is. My part of the triangle is named mountain. Maddox's is forest. Maddox made me focus on him when he spoke to the girl. She was probably 17 years old and completely scared by Maddox's appearance.

"It would please me to know your name." Maddox said to her. He wasn't that good at talking.

"I find it hard to inflict displeasure on people. My name is Gwenn." she said. Maddox flashed a crooked smile before kissing her hard on the lips. Her boyfriend must not have liked this, because he jumped off of the bench and threw a wicked punch at Maddox. Maddox instinctively ducked the would be hit and slammed his fist into the guy. I entered myself in the fight just in time to stop a punch from hitting Maddox in the back of his neck. I threw the man over my shoulder where Raul was laying out people left and right. The police stepped in before any people could be seriously maimed. Raul, Maddox, and I had split knuckles and lips and a few broken fingers. We weren't half as bad as the other group. Raul smashed in the noses of all of the people he touched. Poor Gwenn was out cold with her left arm bent at a sick angle. We walked back to our table and ate as if nothing had happened. I looked over to the door and saw Cici glaring at me. I waved a broken hand at her before eating with my good fingers.