Chapter 14

Icestorm padded in to camp, a plump vole in his jaws. He set it in the fresh kill pile and looked around camp. He spotted Crescentpaw and Soulkit arguing with another apprentice. "Nobody wants you!" The apprentice snarled. "Nobody cares for you, everyone hates you. Your useless kits!" Soulkit pelt was bristling, "your so-called "dad" only took pity on you, he doesn't love you, you're rude and ungrateful!" She snapped at the apprentice.

"Really? My dad took pity on me? He doesn't love me, is that what you're saying? Your mom jumped off a tree because of you!" The apprentices eyes gleamed.

Soulkit eyes flashed and she leapt, claws unsheathed, at the apprentice, smirking as the apprentice batted her. "She attacked me!" Soulkit wailed, quickly scratching her own throat, but not at the kill spot, and it was only just enough to bleed.

Icestorm rushed over, "you could have killed her!" He gasped. "You harmed a kit!" He licked Soulkits scratch. "She attacked me first!" The apprentice snarled. "You said our mom tried to kill herself because of us! That's worse then any wound she could give you!" Crescentpaw retorted, drawing her lips back in a snarl. "Oh I'm so scared! A cat who lost her tail to an alligator is mad at me, what should I do?!? Oh starclan saaave me!" The apprentice mocked. Crescentpaw had been playing in the river with Mahogonypaw and Smokepaw when the alligator attacked and ripped off most of her tail, leaving only a nub left.

Icestorm saw Aurorapaw dragging herself to the Fresh Kill Pile. If I defend her kits, maybe she'll forgive me. He thought. "It wasn't Soulkits fault that Aurorapaw tried to kill herself, it's yours! She hated seeing that you were bullying her kits and you didn't get the punishment you deserved, she'd hoped that knowing you caused her death would make you stop being a brat! Oh, and Crescentpaw was actually very brave to attack the alligator even when hurt, and she's very smart and strong too, all things you are not!" He snapped at the apprentice, who rolled her eyes. "You aren't worth my time." She growled and stalked away.

Crescentpaw smirked. "Thanks Icey, you aren't so bad after all." She smiled, "sorry for being so harsh to you before, but I still haven't gotten over the way you talked to me as a kit.."

Icestorm blinked, "I'm so so sorry, I was just lonely and grumpy, I wanted kits, but... With a mate, and no cat payed any attention to me.. so I just took my anger out on you.." he looked at her guiltily, "I really am sorry.." he murmured.

****

Icestorm saw Lionspirit apologizing to Aurorapaw, the two had broken up after Lionspirit lashed out at Aurorapaw at night. "How about we stay friends, be like we were when we were kits, and see how things work out?" Aurorapaw asked, smiling. "Yeah," Lionspirit agreed, smiling. Time to play match maker again! I'm the reason they got together, aren't I? Icestorm thought, hiding in a bush and preparing to push Aurorapaw into Lionspirit, but before he could do so, Aurorapaw looked at the bush he hid in and padded to him. "You seem like you've gotten better!" He meowed to her.

Aurorapaw smiled, "yeah.." she looked at him awkwardly, "what about you? Have you realized that you have been a fox heart?" She glared. "Yeah.." He murmured. "Why'd you act that way, you weren't my brother!" She ordered. "Well.. I was upset, lonely-" he began. "You had me and Lionspirit!" Aurorapaw meowed. "I know but.. I wanted what you and Lionspirit had, what you still have, that spark.." Icestorm sighed, and Aurorapaw's eyes softened, "then let's get you that." She looked around, spotting two cats, both on different corners of camp. "Pineapple! Colorlight!" She called.

Icestorm blinked in surprise, "how'd you-?" Aurorapaw smiled, "you're my brother, of course I know!" She meowed. "Hi!" Colorlight meowed, "you're Icestorm, right? Well, I understand why, you've set off a storm in my heart!" He meowed, "oh? Well you're the light that melts the ice in me.." Icestorm meowed. "You've frozen my world, I can't seem to see anything but you!" Pineapple stepped in. "Seems we're all gay here, eh?" Pineapple smiled. "Yes, we're telling gay squad!" Icestorm meowed.

The three flirted for awhile, but Icestorm noticed Aurorapaw and Lionspirit sitting together. "One second.." he smiled, hiding behind a rock. He prepared himself to leap, crouching down low, he sprung and pushed Aurorapaw into Lionspirit, making them nose to nose, Aurorapaw on top of Lionspirit. "You little-" Aurorapaw bolted after him. Icestorm laughed, remembering this happening as a kit, "well this seems familiar!" He meowed, Aurorapaw smiled and leapt at him, they fell, tumbling down the hill, laughing. "Here's the cat I know, my brother, who could never hurt a fly."