006 • Dana

Dana leaned with her elbows at a high table while listening to a guitar solo that came out of the speakers. Back in the day, she had had an electric guitar as well. She never took music lessons, with downloaded tabs she'd taught herself a little. After moving into Maddox's house she'd never touched the instrument again. She didn't even know what he had done with, as went for many of her stuff. It wouldn't surprise her if he'd sold it, or gave it to some slut.

"Don't be so sad." Her brother gave her a poke and grinned. "This is your welcome party, kid."

She gave a quick smile to Happy. She'd decided to call him that way, just like the others did. Tom belonged to a past life, a life she wanted to forget. She'd beat and cursed Tom, but with Happy she wanted to turn over a new leaf.

"You're afraid?"

She shook her head. She didn't think Maddox was about to invade the clubhouse. Not so soon. But even if she'd been scared, she wouldn't admit it . "All this... it's just a little overwhelming. I can't remember the last time I've been to a party."

A cloud passed over Happy's face and he mumbled he wanted to get a beer. Instead of walking to the bar, he went outside and lighted a cigarette. She suppressed a sigh. From here she could still get a glimpse of his long face. He blames himself.

She knew she couldn't talk it out of him. She'd already seen how these men treated each other: as if they were brothers. And Happy had abandoned his real sister. That wasn't how she experienced things, all of it was her own fault, and hers alone, but she knew he felt responsible. She'd never thought of that, and she only felt worse.

The clubhouse got more crowded, not only the members were there. Some young boys hung around the bar, who had only eyes for the barely clothed ladies.

She looked around. Tig and Bobby were already with their noses between breasts, Jax stood next to her brother and she hadn't talked with a lot of other people. She caught the glance of a guy who couldn't be much older than she was. He'd been around the table during dinner, but she hadn't spoken to him. With his short-cropped hair, shaved chin and Latin origin he stood out between his long-haired and bearded friends. There was something sweet about him. She smiled at him, but he turned his head away as if he wasn't noticing her. For a moment she considered getting a drink, maybe he was just a little shy.

Sure Dana, shy. Shy people don't end up around the club table. He just doesn't want to talk with you, there are a lot of merrier people here.

Just when she wanted to go to her room, Opie entered the clubhouse again. He didn't need to say a word to Chucky, the man slid a bottle of beer to him immediately. Opie put up two fingers, and another bottle followed, which he put on the table, in front of Dana.

"Had to put the kids to bed," he explained. "You ain't going to tell me you've been on your own all this time?'

"I guess they're taking my brother's threats very seriously."

Opie chuckled. "Such a shame."

"I killed my best friend today," she mumbled. "Guess they can feel that."

Opie swore and looked at her with giant eyes.

With hanging shoulders, she took a sip of her beer. "It was the only way to get out of that place."

"He held ya there?"

"His brother." She looked at the ground. "I know, he wasn't a real friend. Not anymore. But he was all I had.'

Opie put an arm around her waist. "Well, I'll show ya how a real friend feels. That son of a bitch will be out of your mind before ya know it."

She looked up, right into his eyes. I hope so.