Rosie Maynard

Brother,

I hope you are smiling now – we always said we would smile through it all. You are not fond of letters, but I needed to tell you that we love you. We miss you. We need you to come back home. You knew these things already; but somehow I feel better thinking that you might have them in your hands – instead of a gun.

I often think about when we were younger, how easy everything was but how difficult it seemed.

You always had that knack of making us smile, of never taking life to seriously. Mum would tell you off for being silly; it seems wrong that she is proud of you now. Not that I am not proud of you brother - I am - you are being so brave. It is different here – with all of our rocks gone! I hate how serious this war has made everyone.

Sometimes I try to imagine you out there but the image doesn't fit right in my head. I hope that you are happy.

I am sorry for waffling on, forgive me.

I hope that this will all be over soon.

--------------------------------------------

Feeling inspired? Write your own letter to the unknown soldier and join the 10,000+ people who have already contributed including Stephen Fry, Lee Child and Malorie Blackman.

Post your letter on your own Wattpad account with the tag #UnknownSoldier, and then upload it to our online memorial at www.1418NOW.org.uk/letter/new